"Emporer of the North (Pole)"

trisonic

Sad to see that Mr. Borgnine died. He had a good innings and seems to have been around forever....

From Sponge Bob Squarepants to one of the better railroad movies: "Emporer of the North" - I highly recommend this film.

Best, Pete.

Hi Pete,

Very sad to hear that Ernest Borgnine has died. He was one of the "old-style" movie stars and so often found playing a "heavy".

At his very best as "Shack" (with Lee Marvin as "A number 1") in "Emperor" and again with William Holden in the "Wild Bunch", which also has a good railroad sequence included between the bloody bits. And at the wrong end of the fight against Spencer Tracy's one-armed man, in "Bad Day at Black Rock", another film with a railroad sequence at the beginning and the end. When you saw Ernest's eyes bulging, you knew there was trouble brewing!

I know I'm getting older and grumpier by the day, but I think that they just don't make rugged movie stars like these guys anymore!

All the very best,

John.

Sad to read about his passing. A great actor who simply would not stop working.... obviously enjoying his work, such a rare thing these days?

Latest film I spotted him in is RED, with that other, younger gritty actor, Bruce Willis...loved the film, a real fillip for OAPs...

Archived