Thanks Marc, that's nice of you to say.

I'm full of enthusiasm, just a bit empty on time! I'm gagging to get these vans done but I don't really have much time to do anything significant most of the time. Over the last couple of months I've prepared quite a few parts to solder together on Sunday so I should be in a better position to crack on after that.

On the layout, I really want to try out a way of making the points work better and avoid the 'drop' over the frog area which I read on the GOG website and was published in the last Gazette. Seems quite simple but really effective. I'll then be able to pin everything down and test it out, especially the runaround clearance to make sure I can get a long enough train in there – I'd like at least 4 or 5 wagons.

• 6 months later...

In the history of slow burning layout ideas I think I'm knocking on the door of some sort of record.

I've finally built the baseboards (minus a slight trim here and there) and will be ready to drill the coach bolt holes to join them together soon (cough!). I've clamped them together and, in the great Blue Peter tradition, employed a bit of double-sided tape to lay some track in key positions, roughly following my latest plan.

post-11337-0-96620300-1390917241_thumb.jpg

But I'm not happy. Even baring in mind this is simply a slightly more exciting example of a test track (play area!) I feel it should offer a bit more. The runaround doesn't seem long enough, the sidings don't follow any sort of logic and, if I wanted some hidden storage, there's no where to join it to the main layout area.

I'm afraid it's time for a rethink and you're welcome to join in. The main restrictions are:

Layout length: 9' 2" exactly, on 3 baseboards.

Pointwork: 4x LH, 3x RH, 3x Y

Flexi: As much as you like.

Object: To provide a testbed for wagon builds, maybe also small loco builds. Provide a basic level of entertainment. Scenery is not necessary but could be accommodated to a basic level.

I'm not totally against turning one of he ends 90 degrees and have thought about this but would need to experiment with radii.

Advice and plans welcome!

Steve

Archived