Narrow Gauge & Industrial Railway Modelling Review No. 91

Hawk

No. 91 is out, and contains the following:

*Urbota Bruk - 1:35 Swedish Narrow gauge layout

*Thamshavnbanen engine no. 3 -scratch built electric engine in 0m gauge.

*2-6-2+2-6-2 Type articulated locomotive for the Great Western Railway of Brazil (drawing)

*Painting a 7/8in scale Simplex

*Cutting microscope slides for glazing

*China stone wagon (proto info)

*Ioxins RTR Manning Wardle in 7 mm scale (review)

I think this is an great isssue, even if I by posting this could be accused of blowing my own horn. (I have written a couple of articles in this issue)

As you can see, there is a lot of non-British content in this issue. I really wonder how the British readers of the mag react to this. As a Norwegian model builder I can not afford the luxury of expecting a magazine devoted to exclusively to Norwegian prototypes. But as I have always read "foreign" magazines I do not feel that the nationality of the prototypes are that important. What counts is the quality and character of the modelling.

Any other readers of the Reviw that have opinions?

I also find the technical quality of a magazine of importance. And

I received my copy in the mail last Thursday and think it is terrific. The Thamshavnbanen electric loco is superb and as the general layout and presentation is top rate. I am more interested in the industrial side than the passenger carrying NG lines, but NG & IRM always has a good mix. I am very surprised that this magazine seems to come and go with very little comment or fanfare on RM Web, it really is a very good magazine.

Regards,

Craig W

I am very surprised that this magazine seems to come and go with very little comment or fanfare on RM Web, it really is a very good magazine.

Quite right, it is an excellent magazine with high production values and interesting content. Two factors in the lack of fanfare I suspect: 1. this really is a minority interest (and many modellers are rather parochial in their interests) and, 2. The only place I see it remotely regularly is at Ian Allen on Lower Marsh near Waterloo - not somewhere I pass through all that often. Visibility does make a difference...

Adam

Archived