RMweb

Photographic queery

Fairdoos

I have been given a photograph from an old calander and would like help in finding the location depicted. On the gable end of the building in the centre background is the name of 'THAMES BANK IRON COMPANY LTD', found with the help of a strong magnifier. :scratchhead: On the board under the gantry is the name 'CROSSLEY' which refers to the motor car company, I think. :dontknow: If anyone has any idea where this is I would be most grateful. :no:

post-9180-0-86722400-1342119953_thumb.jpg

One clue may be that the two coaches at centre left have the air of the LNER about them and appear to be either close-coupled or articulated, so we could be looking at East London. If the milk tanks are new we may be in the 1930s. It looks like a power station in the misty background. Any help?

Chris

Edited by chrisf

A quick Google shows the said company to be the founder of the West Ham FC. Based in Bow, a shipbuilding company. I did wonder if the 2 signalboxes on the right might be a clue. The far right one looks like GER, the one to the left of it I don't recognise but could it be LTSR? Also are the coaches down near them a set of Gresley corridors?

Stewart

Edited by stewartingram

When I made my last entry I was too busy to give more details...

Just to clarify the ID, this is a photo looking north from Rossmore Road, which crosses the Great Central line immediately north of Marylebone station. The raised area on the left is the GC goods yard. The brick structure middle left is the cab road from Rossmore Road to the platforms.

• Informative/Useful 1

• 7 years later...

Sorry to resurrect this thread after all these years but that is a lovely photo. The IMS milk bottling plant opened in 1934. In 1936 they purchased a rake of 10 milk tankers painted in the own livery from the GWR. Given how new and shiny the tanks appear, I would suggest the photo dates from around this time when the tanks were new. It might even be some sort of publicity photo.

• Like 1