Markit/Romford wheels

I've started building my Gibson o1 chassis /frames.I am using Markits wheels purchased about 3 years ago they came with axles they look very similar to Romfords ie a square ends. My question is do the wheels need a fair bit of fettling I don't want to rush in with a file.I don't want to force or use to much pressure.I have used Romfords before and usually I have not had any poblems other than a bit of fettling with a needle file but these do seem very tight is this usual comments advice appreciated-Simon

I've had this problem a lot with Markits wheels;- My solution is to ease them with a very fine, square section needle file.... DO NOT use a cheap one, as they are rarely truly square;- spend the extra money & get a proper swiss fine-cut needle file, & aim to taper the square hole, so it's larger where the wheel enters it. You're aiming for a fit which is still tight, to preserve the self-quartering, but will allow the square on the axle to just enter the wheel.. I then press both wheels & the axle together in a vice, to save exerting too much pressure on the wheel nut, & running the risk of stripping the thread...

HTH,

Chris

Thanks for replies to answer Katier it was wheels onto axle thanks. Chris I was thinking along those lines. as I stated I have used Romfords before but never found them to be so tight so it's the old adage a little at a time check then check again thanks for the rapid reply

Simon, the use of a file is not necessary Markits are made to be a tight fit, on my first build I asked mark the same question this is what you need to do:

Line up the axle to the wheel in the position you want don’t force it on, then gently but firmly rock the axle Diagonally ( Ie bottom left to top right on the square) and visa versa. Do this several times then try to bring the axle to the wheel not other way round. Has worked for me a few times now and I’m a newbee, I was going to file at first but was warned a small mistake could be costly.

Hope this helps

John.

thanks john I will give it a try I agree. A very expensive mistake, I was surprised when I bought the wheels etc at the cost. Quite a bit more than a set of plain romfords.

Echoing Redgates comment "good place this forum" a great place to learn-Simon

When Markits took on the manufacture of the Romford axles the machinery was set up to the same dimensions as the orginal drawings used by Romford. But over many years use the moulds that produce the metal wheel centres had become worn, and so we had all become used to the axles fitting easliy into the wheels, but as new moulds were made for the Markits wheels, the fit was much much tighter and Markits received quite a lot of feedback saying the wheels no longer fitted the axles. Eventually, the size of the square ends of the axles was reduced by, if I remember correctly, 1 thou off each face, but they're still 'snug'.

Geoff

Comet Models

Archived