RMweb

Ashton Meadows Bristol to Wapping Wharf: Info and pics needed for operations in the 1970s until closure

pwilson

These are 4 relevant pages copied from the 'BR TOPS PRE-IMPLEMENTATION SURVEY' August 72 Edition

Bristol West Depot Yard & I.S.C. (What does I.S.C. stand for?)

Plan of Ashton Meadows Sdgs

attachicon.gifscan0070.jpg

Bristol Wapping Wharf

attachicon.gifscan0071.jpg

P.B.A Princes Wharf/Bathurst Wharf P.S.

attachicon.gifscan0072.jpg

Plan of Bristol Wapping Wharf

attachicon.gifscan0073.jpg

On another page, giving totals of train arrivals/departures, Wapping Wharf has 2 arrivals,

whereas Ashton Meadows is listed as 1 departure. Does this mean the incoming coal is brought to Wapping by the mainline loco,

but it then goes light to Ashton Meadows to pick up empties already tripped out and formed up?

Wapping Wharf had a staff of 1 grade A Suoervisor (07.00 - 16.00), 4 Senior Railmen, and 4 Railmen,

there was no staff at Ashton Meadows.

cheers

From 1978 only one railman on site....Jim Trudgeon.He dealt with all the paperwork,weighed wagons and liased with Western Fuel 

I have just picked up on this thread. I am looking for something a bit earlier - pics taken on the line from Ashton swing bridge, from where it crossed Avon Crescent  to Merchants Dock. I can't recall seeing anything published.

From 1978 only one railman on site....Jim Trudgeon.He dealt with all the paperwork,weighed wagons and liased with Western Fuel 

I remember Jim, it was he that phoned through the details of the empty wagons for the departing trains to us in the TOPS office at Bristol,

cheers

• 7 months later...

I remember Jim, it was he that phoned through the details of the empty wagons for the departing trains to us in the TOPS office at Bristol,

cheers

Yes..he also removed the wagon labels and advised WFC of arrivals.This stopped suddenly in 1982 when he was moved to Temple Meads because it was felt that TOPS would take over all reporting etc.WFC then took the wagon labels off.I got a shed load off them in 1982 !!

Yes..he also removed the wagon labels and advised WFC of arrivals.This stopped suddenly in 1982 when he was moved to Temple Meads because it was felt that TOPS would take over all reporting etc.WFC then took the wagon labels off.I got a shed load off them in 1982 !!

Jim passed away in 2008.

• 1 year later...