Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Bletchley to Oxford

Ray H

Possibly - depends really who BMC (as they then were) were buying steel from.  However did any steel plants in the Corby area roll cold reduced steel coil at that time?  

Pretty certain the answer is no.

Not thin enough for car bodies at any rate.

I do not remember the steel company reps who dealt with Ford and Vauxhall at the same time that they would visit Dexion, some years later than the date under discussion, ever talking about dealing with BMC Oxford.

As Brian mentions they may well not have bought in wide CR coil.

Bernard

• RMweb Premium

I suppose that we need to ascertain what the trains were carrying in order to determne what the stock would be.

I'm trying to cast my mind back to the later 60s when I worked in Special Traffic timing at Liverpool Street for a while. I recall that a lot of freight paths were published on an almost daily basis and, for some reason, I seem to think there were a lot of published Q paths around but that might have been a change since the early sixties. I do find it strange that there was such limited freight along the line as I'd always got the impression (although I'm not sure where from) that it was reasonably busy freight wise or maybe I'm pipe dreaming and it never was that busy.

Was Swanbourne only used for a relatively few trains or is my judgement being clouded by the fact that we only have evidence from a WR WTT and an LMR WTT would reveal much more?

• RMweb Premium

Was Swanbourne only used for a relatively few trains or is my judgement being clouded by the fact that we only have evidence from a WR WTT and an LMR WTT would reveal much more?

It was busy enough to have it's own Diesel Shunter (either 12073 / 12074) and open at least 6am to 10pm, I can't remember if there was a night shift.

Possibly - depends really who BMC (as they then were) were buying steel from.  However did any steel plants in the Corby area roll cold reduced steel coil at that time?  

I'd doubt the traffic was steel strip, Corby's steel output was primarily to feed the tubeworks, there was very little export of unprocessed rolled and the strip mills at Corby were geared to producing widths specifically for the tube mills, too narrow for and too thick for pressings. When the steel side closed at Corby, a slitting plant was built to trim the strip to width as the mills at Lackenby produced a much wider strip.

Another possibility might have been headlights from British Sealed Beams at Corby, I wouldn't have thought this warranted a dedicated train six days a week though.

• Like 1

From another thread, here is the late fifties marshalling of the 7.14pm Ipswich to Cardiff

To convey fitted wagons only, with the exception that Ferry wagons (Westo or unfitted) may be attached next brake.

Formation from Ipswich:- Engine-Cardiff-Newport-West Country-Bristol-Ferry Wagons-Brake

Formation from Cambridge:- Engine-Cardiff from Cambridge-Cardiff from Ipswich-Newport from Ipswich-Newport from Cambridge-Bristol from Cambridge-West Country from Cambridge-West Country from Ipswich-Bristol from Ipswich-Ferry Wagons-Brake

Not less than one-third of the total number of wagons must be piped and connected to the engine, to conform to Western Region Class “D” braked train requirements

In its last years this train conveyed mostly vanfits with the odd fruit van during the season as well as loaded ferry wagons

In the opposite direction the Class D Llandilo Junction - Cambridge conveyed tinplate (although I don't know in what sort of wagons) for manufacture of cans at Wisbech and Lowestoft, lots of sealed vanfits with cigarettes and chocolate from Bristol for all over East Anglia, together with empty ferry wagons (and possibly the odd loaded one!) heading for Harwich

From another thread, here is the late fifties marshalling of the 7.14pm Ipswich to Cardiff

To convey fitted wagons only, with the exception that Ferry wagons (Westo or unfitted) may be attached next brake.

Formation from Ipswich:- Engine-Cardiff-Newport-West Country-Bristol-Ferry Wagons-Brake

Formation from Cambridge:- Engine-Cardiff from Cambridge-Cardiff from Ipswich-Newport from Ipswich-Newport from Cambridge-Bristol from Cambridge-West Country from Cambridge-West Country from Ipswich-Bristol from Ipswich-Ferry Wagons-Brake

Not less than one-third of the total number of wagons must be piped and connected to the engine, to conform to Western Region Class “D” braked train requirements

In its last years this train conveyed mostly vanfits with the odd fruit van during the season as well as loaded ferry wagons

In the opposite direction the Class D Llandilo Junction - Cambridge conveyed tinplate (although I don't know in what sort of wagons) for manufacture of cans at Wisbech and Lowestoft, lots of sealed vanfits with cigarettes and chocolate from Bristol for all over East Anglia, together with empty ferry wagons (and possibly the odd loaded one!) heading for Harwich

The tinplate would have been conveyed in Shocvans- a lot carried branding such as 'Return Empty to Llandilo Jct' (for Trostre). This service continued, routed via the Birmingham area, until the demise of the Wisbech branch, well into the late 1980s/early 1990s.

• RMweb Gold

The tinplate would have been conveyed in Shocvans- a lot carried branding such as 'Return Empty to Llandilo Jct' (for Trostre). This service continued, routed via the Birmingham area, until the demise of the Wisbech branch, well into the late 1980s/early 1990s.

When there were enough available Brian - otherwise the tinplate went in Vanfits (which sometimes resulted in damage, which led to claims, which led to efforts to try and make sure if was loaded in Shocvans).  But even in the early '70s there were still problems with Vanfits having to be used when the Shocvans weren't returning empty as promptly as they ought to.

• RMweb Gold

A few pictures taken at Aristotle lane crossing in 1965

post-6902-0-39102700-1359669582_thumb.jpg

post-6902-0-60582900-1359669865.jpg

post-6902-0-66967600-1359669926.jpg

The second may be a parcels working, with a lot of vans up front.

I've a few more taken at Walton Well Rd bridge, if they would be any use.

Thanks

Dave

Edited by unravelled
  • Like 3

A few pictures taken at Aristotle lane crossing in 1965

I've a few more taken at Walton Well Rd bridge, if they would be any use.

Thanks

Dave

They would. Massive nostalgia. I used to be taken to Aristotle lane by my grandfather- a retired signalman-  in the late 1950s and as a teenager often went to Port Meadow over the footbridge on my bike at about the time you took these photos. I may have even seen you there, though I and my friends also tended to hang round the old Wolvercote Crossing.

Edited by Pacific231G

Some really interesting info on here now! Especially as to the makeup of the only 'express' freight on the line.

I have to hand the WR WTTs for summer 1958, winter 1960 and the LMR WTT for winter 1962. I really must scan these sometime, saves a lot of typing...

Times in bold are passing times at Verney Junction. I have only included weekday (SX) trains.

1958:

Up Line:

12:10 Llandilo Jn-Cambridge class 'D' 01:05

01:15 Yarnton-Saffron Lane Junction class 'F' 02:56

03:00 Yarnton-Irthlingborough class 'J' 04:20-04:45 (booked for regulating purposes)

04:17 Hinksey Yard-Swanbourne Sdgs class 'J' 05:36

06:25 Yarnton-Corby Sdgs class 'J' 07:35 Mondays Only

07:55 Yarnton-Swanbourne Sdgs class 'J' 09:38

08:55 Hinksey Yard-Swanbourne Sdgs class J' 10:14 Mondays Only

10:15 Yarnton-Swanbourne Sdgs class 'J' 11:33

10:55 Yarnton-Cambridge class 'H' 12:38

11:27 Oxford-Bletchley class 'K' 14:10 calls at Islip, Bicester No.2, Bicester L.R., then 'as required' at Launton, Marsh Gibbon & Poundon, Claydon. WTT also shows Islip Crossing, Oddington Crossing and Bicester R.A.F siding as 'as required' stops.

13:10 Hinksey Yard-Bicester London Rd. class 'K' - - -

15:55 Oxford South Yard-Fletton's Siding* class 'F' 17:15 *WTT shows 18:12-18:25 in Fletton's Siding 'loop'. The next entry is Bletchley arrival as a light engine.

19:45 Yarnton-Swanbourne Sidings class 'J' 21:03

21:35 Oxford-Swanbourne Sidings class 'J' 22:50

22:50 Yarnton-Northampton class 'J' 00:08 Note: Class 'H' from Swanbourne Sidings

Down Line:

22:25 Forder's Sidings-Hinksey Yard class 'J' 00:53

06:05 Swanbourne Sidings-Hinksey Yard class 'J' 06:25 mondays only

08:55 Swanbourne Sidings-Oxford class 'K' 09:18-10:09 calls at Bicester No.1 10:34-11:00, Bicester No.2 11:05-11:20, also Islip, Islip Crossing, Oddington Crossing, Oxford Road Jn. Arrive Oxford 12:18.

09:50 Cambridge-Cardiff class 'D' 12:38

12:45 Swanbourne Sidings-Hinksey Yard class 'K' 13:05

06:10 Wellingborough Midland-Yarnton class 'J' 13:20

11:40 Irthlingborough-Yarnton class 'J' 15:45

16:00 Bletchley-Yarnton class 'G' (light engine) 16:30 mondays only. To work 19:45 to Swanbourne Sidings.

14:00 Irthlingborough-Yarnton class 'J' 18:20

18:00 Bletchley-Oxford M.P.D. class 'G' (light engine) 18:30 mondays only

19:45 Corby Sidings-Hinksey Yard class 'J' 23:48

19:14 Ipswich-Cardiff class 'D' 00:16

Edited by Panelman

When there were enough available Brian - otherwise the tinplate went in Vanfits (which sometimes resulted in damage, which led to claims, which led to efforts to try and make sure if was loaded in Shocvans).  But even in the early '70s there were still problems with Vanfits having to be used when the Shocvans weren't returning empty as promptly as they ought to.

For 'would' read 'should', I think, Mike.

These are the Bletchley-Oxford line workings as shown in the LMS winter 1962/63 freight WTT. I imagine the WTT was largely irrelevant once the snows of '63 arrived!

Up Line (times in bold are Verney Junction times where applicable)

5E09 13:00 Neath-Cambridge                                       01:00

7B98 02:05 Swabourne Sidings-Pooley Hall empties    - - - -

4M26 20:30 Fawley-Northampton                                  03:00  calls at Winslow to take water 03:06-03:12

7M32 01:15 Yarnton-Toton empties                              03:12 (recesses at Claydon L*NE Jn. for passage of 4M26. also stops Winslow for water 03:17-03:22)

3E76 04:30 Swanbourne Sidings-Cambridge                - - - -

8M14 03:00 Yarnton-Irthlingborough Iron Co's Sdg      04:25 (Swanbourne Sidings 04:47-05:05)

9F02 04:40 Swanbourne Sidings-Lloyd Sidings            - - - -  FSO

9T22 17:20 Swanbourne Sidings-Wolverton                 - - - -

7P64 17:30 Swanbourne Sidings-Overseal                   - - - - MO

9T08 17:35 Swanbourne Sidings-Bletchley                   - - - - via Bletchley No.1

9A43 17:55 Swanbourne Sidings-Bletchley                   - - - - via flyover

8M16 04:20 Hinksey Yard-Swanbourne Sidings            05:38

9F02 06:15 Swanbourne Sidings-Corby Sidings           - - - -  MO

9E75 06:45 Swanbourne Sidings-Sandy                       - - - -

9F04 07:40 Swanbourne Sidings-Lloyds Sidings          - - - -

9A06 07:53 Swanbourne Sidings-Tring Cutting            - - - -

9T23 09:20 Swanbourne Sidings-Bedford St. John's    - - - -

9T08 09:40 Swanbourne SidingsCambridge                 - - - -

8M18 07:55 Yarnton-Swanbourne Sidings                    09:40

9A13 10:35 Swanbourne Sidings-Leighton Buzzard      - - - -

8M19 08:35 Hinksey Yard-Swanbourne Sidings           10:34 MO

9T24 09:50 Quainton Road-Swanbourne Sidings        10:42 calls at Winslow to take water 10:50-11:00

8M20 10:15 Yarnton-Swanbourne Sidings                   11:40

9T10 09:45 Banbury Merton St.-Swanbourne Sidings  12:00-12:18 (calls Brackley Town, Fulwell and Westbury, Buckingham and 'as required' at Farthinghoe and Winslow)

8M21 11:27 Oxford Rewley Road-Swanbourne Sidings 14:10 (calls 'as required' at Launton, Marsh Gibbon, Claydon, Verney Jn, Winslow)

0Z00 14:00 EBV Quainton Road-Swanbourne Sidings  14:28 EBV-engine and brake van. WTT states 'off T24'. T24 refers to the 08:10 Swanbourne Sdgs-Quainton Rd.

9T12 15:14 Swanbourne Sidings-Newton Longville       - - - - MWFO

9T18 16:20 Swanbourne Sidings-Tring                         - - - -

9B70 16:35 Swanbourne Sidings-Northampton             - - - -

7M34 16:00 Oxford South Yard-Swanbourne Sidings   17:18

8M22 19:45 Yarnton-Swanbourne Sidings                    21:03

8M23 20:45 Hinksey yard-Swanbourne Sidings            22:05

8M24 21:30 Yarnton-Northampton                                22:48

Down Line

9T07 20:40 Bedford St. John's-Hinksey Yard               00:53 (interesting that this didn't run as a 'V' headcode)

9T08 03:32 Bletchley-Swanbourne Sidings                  - - - -

8A99 01:20 Willesden-Swanbourne Sidings                 - - - -

9T10 05:42 Swanbourne Sidings-Banbury Merton St.  06:02 (calls 'as required' at Padbury, Buckingham, Fulwell and Westbury and Farthinghoe. Booked at Buckingham Goods from 06:32-07:50)

8V63 06:14 Swanbourne Sidings-Hinksey Yard            06:34 MO

9T24 08:10 Swanbourne Sidings-Quainton Road         08:30

8V65 08:45 Swanbourne Sidings-Oxford Rewley Rd.   10:05 (calls 'as required' at Swanbourne, Winslow (09:15-09:55), Verney Junction)

8V64 06:05 Wellingborough Midland Rd.-Yarnton        10:50 calls at Winslow to take water 10:35-10:40

0A13 08:45 Leighton Buzzard-Swanbourne Sidings      - - - - (light engine to work 9A13 10:35 Swanbourne Sidings-Leighton Buzzard)

8A03 06:15 Nuneaton-Swanbourne Sidings                  - - - -  MO

9T12 11:10 Bletchley-Swanbourne Sidings                   - - - -

9T24 11:45 Swanbourne Sidings-Quainton Road         12:27 (calls at Winslow 12:02-12:20 for pathing purposes)

8V68 12:55 Swanbourne Sidings-Hinksey yard             13:15

9A16 08:50 Toton-Swanbourne Sidings                         - - - -

8V70 14:36 Swanbourne Sidings-Oxford Rewley Road 14:56

8V71 11:52 Irthlingborough-Yarnton                             15:49 calls at Winslow to take water 15:38-15:43

9T04 14:00 Aylesbury-Swanbourne Sidings                  - - - -   MWFO

0M22 16:05 Bletchley-Yarnton                                      16:35 (light engine to work 8M22 19:45 Yarnton-Swanbourne Sidings)

9T13 16:18 Lamb's Siding-Swanbourne Sidings            - - - -

9T12 16:45 Newton Longville-Swanbourne Sidings        - - - -

8V73 14:10 Irthlingborough-Yarnton                              17:34 calls at Winslow to take water 17:12-17:26

0M23 17:40 Bletchley-Swanbourne Sidings                   18:10 (light engine to work 8M23 20:45 Hinksey Yard-Swanbourne)

9T08 15:04 Cambridge-Swanbourne Sidings                 - - - -

8A12 20:00 Rugby-Swanbourne Sidings                        - - - -

9A34 22:10 Northampton-Swanbourne Sidings              - - - -

4O09 21:50 Northampton-Northam                                 23:09 calls at Winslow to take water 22:54-22:59

8V75 19:50 Corby Sidings-Hinksey Yard                        23:29 calls at Winslow to take water 23:14-23:19

5V06 19:23 Ipswich-Cardiff                                             00:16

The LMR WTT shows more vividly how the line's freight traffic is centred on the yard at Swanbourne Sidings. Must have been an interesting spot to visit.

• RMweb Premium

Many thanks for all the finger exercise Panelman. Interestingly, there's a little more traffic in 1962 even if the trains via Buckingham are ignored.

Also of note is down train 9T24 (presumably) recessed at Winslow. If it was recessed for another down (passenger?) train to pass that would have probably involved shunting across to the up line as there probably wasn't enough room in either down side yard to accommodate a full train whereas there was a refuge siding on the up line which although its use doesn't appear to have been scheduled, probably found use routinely when Swanbourne was unable to accept a train.

Likewise, with both Winslow yards on the down side, up trains would have had a great time shunting.

Other than the light engines and, presumably the class 4 trains - all vans? - do we presume that the other trains comprised a mix of vans and open wagons or, as has been mentioned above, ore trains?

Aside from the freight trains would there have been much other than, perhaps, one parcels train in each direction that wasn't passenger or was there a flow of empty stock (to/from Wolverton?), mail and more (through) parcels trains?

• RMweb Premium

Aside from the freight trains would there have been much other than, perhaps, one parcels train in each direction that wasn't passenger or was there a flow of empty stock (to/from Wolverton?), mail and more (through) parcels trains?

WR repaired coaching stock was bought up from Wolverton Works to Bletchley and then marshalled in the 14:00 ? (There was a 14:00 Bletchley to Buckingham Passenger so the actual departure time may have been a little before or after 14:00) Bletchley to Oxford Parcels which was hauled by a Bletchley Black 5 or Std 5.

Ray,

I too would be very interested to see any documentation which exists as to the booked formation of the freights. There must have been something printed in the manner of the passenger carriage workings, to show which traffic was to be forwarded by which trains?

The parcels workings were contained in the passenger WTTs, as were any milk and fish trains. There were 2 return parcels trains over the route in the 1961 WTT, and i have included the booked formations from the 1961 Carriage Working programme. Note that the WR used the term 'Van' for just about everything it seems, apart from BG-type vehicles which were referred to as 'Brake Vans'. I suppose the difference was provision of guard's accommodation.

3V04 04:55 Bletchley-Oxford parcels and mails (this ran as 1V20 with passenger accommodation mondays only, see 3M23 below)

-Brake Van Bletchley-Oxford

-Van Liverpool-Oxford

-Van Liverpool-Reading

-Vans 'as required' Norwich-Reading

3E27 06:10 Oxford-Cambridge parcels

-Vans 'as required' (U.S.A.F. Mails) for various destinations

-2 Vans Droitwich-Bletchley

-Van Hartlebury-Bletchley

-Brake van Oxford-Cambridge

3V06 22:10 Bletchley-Oxford Parcels

-Brake Van Cambridge-Oxford

-Van Bletchley-Oxford

-Brake Van Cambridge-Wolverhampton Low Level

-Van 'as required' Sandy-Birmingham Moor St.

-Van Baldock-Birmingham Snow Hill

-Van Baldock-Oxford

-Van Baldock-Bristol

-Brake Van Northampton-Bristol

3M23 23:30 Oxford-Bletchley parcels

-Brake Van Oxford-Cambridge

-Van Morris Cowley-Cambridge

(on Saturdays this train conveyed a BSK and SK which returned on the Mondays only 1V20 04:55 Bletchley-Oxford)

If you would like to see the passenger workings, i'll fetch in the WTTs i have tomorrow. I only have WR ones though for the late 50s,/early 60s, and they only show Oxford-Bicester in detail. I am sure i have an LMR passenger WTT for 1965 which has the workings for the Bletchley end. I seem to recall there were a few saturdays-only class 1 passenger trains to and from the south coast to the likes of Bradford/Leicester etc which went over the Bletchley-Oxford line.

Regards,

Kevin

Saffron Lane Junction, As Highlighted below.... is that the saffron Lane junction in Leicester, which is now known as Knighton Junction? 

cheers

Some really interesting info on here now! Especially as to the makeup of the only 'express' freight on the line.

I have to hand the WR WTTs for summer 1958, winter 1960 and the LMR WTT for winter 1962. I really must scan these sometime, saves a lot of typing...

Times in bold are passing times at Verney Junction. I have only included weekday (SX) trains.

1958:

Up Line:

01:15 Yarnton-Saffron Lane Junction class 'F' 02:56

• RMweb Premium

This thread is developing into one full of incredibly useful information. I can but express my thanks and gratitude to all contributors.

The passenger (working) timetable data would also be useful to help me build up a bigger picture. The public book for 1962 is available via http://timetableworld.com/index.php and I've also seen an extract from the 1955 one as well courtesy of the same chap.

Having always been interested in (and employed in connection with the production of) train diagrams & schedules I do marvel at the complete difference in the make up of the parcels trains indicated above with (approx) 12 vehicles moving one way and only seven the other. There must have been a big mountain of the balancing number somewhere! How does one model that indifference other than by means of a lot of (hand) crane shunting.

This thread is developing into one full of incredibly useful information. I can but express my thanks and gratitude to all contributors.

The passenger (working) timetable data would also be useful to help me build up a bigger picture. The public book for 1962 is available via http://timetableworld.com/index.php and I've also seen an extract from the 1955 one as well courtesy of the same chap.

Having always been interested in (and employed in connection with the production of) train diagrams & schedules I do marvel at the complete difference in the make up of the parcels trains indicated above with (approx) 12 vehicles moving one way and only seven the other. There must have been a big mountain of the balancing number somewhere! How does one model that indifference other than by means of a lot of (hand) crane shunting.

It could be that the other vehicles were returned empty on the same train;just that the guide to the train formation only shows the vehicles to be loaded. I can't help but wonder what there was at Baldock to generate that much traffic, and why was a single van sent from Morris Cowley.

• RMweb Gold

Parvan circulation was in a totally different world from everything else - or it certainly was by the time of my involvement with some of it in the late 1960s.  Internally each Region balanced its own vans but inter-Regional balances had to be mutually agreed and part of the problem was that in the case of some Regions the flow across one border wasn't balanced by a flow in the opposite direction at the same border.  If you then add in the LMR's apparent never ending inability to balance its own vans and to produce diagrams for more bogie vans than it had on its books the nett result could be something of a mess.  And they weren't very good at paying BRUTE balances either.

It could be that the other vehicles were returned empty on the same train;just that the guide to the train formation only shows the vehicles to be loaded. I can't help but wonder what there was at Baldock to generate that much traffic, and why was a single van sent from Morris Cowley.

There was a parcel train from Morris Cowley to Oxford which contained vans for various destinations.

3A78 18:55 Morris Cowley-Oxford                                          Arr 19:10

1. Van                                     Morris Cowley-Crewe                        Forward 3J06 18:45 Didcot-Shrewsbury

2. Van                                     Morris Cowley-Newcastle                  Forward 1E50 19:33 Swindon-Sheffield

3. Van                                     Morris Cowley-Cambridge                 Forward  3M23 23:30 Oxford-Bletchley

4. BSK (set S.14)                   Morris Cowley-Oxford                        Next working 3H90 04:40 Oxford -Kingham ECS      

5. CK  (set S.15)                   Morris Cowley-Oxford                         Next working 3H90 04:40 Oxford -Kingham ECS

• RMweb Premium

That takes me back to a brief spell in a very sheltered youth, working in what was then known as the Parcels Traffic office at Liverpool Street in or around 1965 not long out of school. Here they arranged the schedule for the vans on the various parcels trains although I didn't get personally involved.

It was here also that I was invited to work my first Sunday turn only to discover that what I had anticipated would be an eight hour shift would in fact be a few minutes over three but the pay for that would be the same as I'd have got for working the eight but perhaps that is a matter for another thread.

For Pacific 231G,   a BOD is general stuff and a Corps Ordnance Depot  the same but smaller,   its a C Ammunition D what has the bangs ,like the RNADs, (Trecwn with the narrow guage internal and a main line sized four platform station for the staff trains etc) all gone now.  Bicester was like a colossal Department store, you handed in your 'shopping list', and not too long after it was ready at the loading dock,.  unless very heavy stuff,  or special MOD list (binoculars and compasses for example)  which went via other routes - sometimes for BAOR in their own special night trains with the olive green painted vans. Staff at Bicester, Didcot and all the rest were a weird mixture of RAOC soldiers and Civil Servants, where an Executive Officer Grade 2 was equivalent to a Leiutenant, and you called her marm but didnt salute!