Seaton Junction

Tim Hale

I've often wondered at the possibility of the Seaton tramway extending back there to give a main-line-interchange (a la Smallbrook), though it would require either the main line slewing across or the platforms being extended out to it in order for SWT passengers to disembark.

I think that bridges will need re-instating which will prevent a cost effective connection.

Tim

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Gold

Finally found my slides from when I last visited Seaton Jct, back in the summer of 1984. Unfortunately I only seem to have taken three slides of the station, and none show the kind of detail that I think Tim is after, but here they are anyway. There is some interest, in that the former Up Platform Loop line and a siding were still in situ, albeit seemingly disused, possibly connected with the dairy?

attachicon.gifSeaton Jct_01_irf.jpg

attachicon.gifSeaton Jct_02_irf.jpg

attachicon.gifSeaton Jct_03_irf.jpg

The sidings certainly served the dairy originally but that traffic had long since gone and Express Dairy had ceased to use the building alongside the station. They had moved their local distribution activities to a depot on the Whitford road the other side of the Colyton road bridge. That has also long since passed into other uses including, for a while, a boat building business.

AFAIK the up platform road and remnants of the dairy sidings were in engineers use at the time the good Captain took his pictures and I think they lasted about another 3 or 4 years. It was certainly all gone by the time I started on the railway in 1992.

The former Shute Arms opposite the station (now converted to apartments) used to be an occasional haunt of mine and much of the building had a definite 'railway' look about it. Does anyone know if the hotel was built by the LSWR?

John

The former Shute Arms opposite the station (now converted to apartments) used to be an occasional haunt of mine and much of the building had a definite 'railway' look about it. Does anyone know if the hotel was built by the LSWR?

My understanding is that it was opened in 1898 - almost 40 years after the station - as a hotel (and including a public bar), but whether built by the LSWR or as a private concern I don't know.

In later years the emphasis shifted towards being a pub, with the accommodation aspect very much a secondary part of the business.

It hasn't been open as a pub for a long time.  I know there was a fire at some stage and about 8 or 10 years ago there was quite a bit of work done to convert it into flats.  Not sure if the conversion was actually completed or not, but there are some people living there & it does look quite smart from the outside.  As I've posted before, on the only occasion I ever set foot through the front door, I'm not sure that the residents were either humanoid or biped  .  .  .  .

Archived