Trams, mostly unmotorised, from Wheeltapper's Estate.

I could do with some advice, lads.

In amongst Richard's stuff there are 8 new 'carded' plastic trams/streetcars advertising different beers from the Continent and the US.

Here is an example:

post-7041-0-25958100-1343066148.jpg

They look to me as if they will readily take an OO/HO conversion to motorise them.

Trams are not really my thing so I'd be grateful for advice on what would be a fair price to ask for all 8.

Thanks for any assistance.

That range is regarded as more of a 'colectable' series than as serious models... Generally they can be picked up new for around £4-6 each, though certain souvenir (i.e. cheap tourist tat) shops in places like Blackpool will try to get £10++ out of you!

That's very helpful, thank you.

So, if I asked £20 + postage for the lot, that would be reasonable?

Yes, assuming all are unopened and in similar condition to the one pictured,£20 - £25 is a realistic expectation for all 8 as one lot...

Just to pick your brains further, I notice on a cyber auction site completed items, that UNmotorised die cast trams such as those I have listed can fetch remarkable money eg £25-35 each while other similar models remain unsold.

I couldn't see any reason for the variation.

It's turning into a bit of a minefield through my ignorance.

• RMweb Premium

About 4 years ago I had to dispose of some 200 trams from a friends estate on behlf of my model railway club and the family. Motorised trams fetched about £40 and the diecast unmotorised ones varied quite a lot depnding on the livery and the condition, ie boxed or not. I sold the vast majority via Ebay and lways quoted the stock number from the box when I had a box. They went for btween £8 and £25 from memory. I put 2 or 3 a week on the site, uually at a weekend. Putting a load on at once doesn't help.

All in all I think we got over £2K for the lot.

Jamie

The Corgi Trams are notiriously variable, but as Jamie says the livery and condition are key.

Some liveries were produced in much smaller numbers than others so command a higher price, and some are simply seen as 'prettier'...

In the case of the generic 4-wheelers, which type of box it has is also a factor. The maroon window box can mean upto +20% on what you would get for exactly the same car in the small fawn box.

Mmmmm. Thanks again.

I think the ones on my list are almost all Corgi - four in maroon boxes.

Most are in a condition I would be happy to receive off the shelf in a shop but if a collector wants pristine boxes, that might make a problem on eBay.

I'd better run through them again and make better notes of box condition.

If nothing else I'm getting to know a little about model Trams!

I may be back!

• RMweb Gold

Which reminds me! (oops) The situation with Corgi trams is very mixed, most of the 'special or limited' edition models seem to have finished up remaindered and being sold off through whoever would buy them thus turning up on stalls at things like traction engine rallies. The only ones back then which commanded higher prices were the Blackpool ones which seemed to go for about £18 while the small ones went for anything between £8 and £14 but averaged out at about £10-12 tenner; I haven't got a clue what they go for nowadays, only what I value them at to me.

My eBay research seems to make those figures out of date, Mike, in both directions.

Why do some fetch 'silly' prices and others don't sell?

Should I then ask the 'silly' prices for some and give others away for nothing?

Therein lays the fault with subjective research.

The situation always needs a willing seller and a willing buyer in order that both will be satisfied with the transaction.

Archived