Dipping my toes in

Hello

Having seen some very good models produced on here from the Scalesenic range in 0 I decided to have a crack.

First off was the rescaling from 00 to 0 not too difficult using Odobe 10 as it lets you chose slected images should you need to. I've found that most pieces will fit complete onto A4, there a few longer ones which you have to print in 2 parts. You can over select the part so that you can chose a suitable cut point to best blind this fact.

All well and good.

First awkwardness was in obtaining some suitable card from art and craft shops, easy enough to obtain light and medium for 0 gauge building but none had 3-3.5mm for heavy use.

Thank god for Kellogs and Procter & Gamble cartons, so supply problem solved.

I'm trial building the Low Relief Warehouse kit.

Now the first step in this kit is to stick the printed page onto the card, if I do that how do I remove the card from the inside at windows and doorways to allow me to wrap the flaps arround?

Am I missing something here, should I cut the card first if so shouldn't there be some alignment lines to ensure squareness but if I do it later how do I stop cutting through the front printed paper?

AH HAAR!! Reading some of the other instructions it is clearer that first you stick down the base layers then cut out any openings then stick the outside printed papers and CAREFULLY fold over the tabs, then stick any internal printed papers, easy when you read the right instructions.

Just thought I share my trials and tribulations with you all.

At the Stafford 2012 RMweb day, one of the exhibitors (I apologise for forgetting is name!) was showing an 0 gauge Scalescenes container crane. He had had the files professionally printed on A3 size (photo?) paper. Not sure that all those present got to see this item as it was rather tucked away at the stage end of the hall, just past the exit door.

It featured manual lifting of the vertical arm,(held in place by friction!) and magnetic grabbing of the containers. Very nicely done.

Have not seen a write-up here on RMweb, but I may have missed it, and didn't find it in a search.

Barnaby,

Yeah thats the one. Traction ( Ian ) is a whizz with the Scalescene kits. The photos actually dont quite convey the size of that crane - it was awesome.

Redgatemodels was also at Stafford with some of his O gauge kits made up, the single track shed and inspection pit and maybe something else.

Regards

David

• 8 months later...

Just wondered if you had any pics of progress? I was interested in doing a similar thing with the scalescenes kits, but enlarging on a photo copier didn't produce the crispness of print quality required, so i abandoned them. So seeing positive results may convince me to start again.

i have done the small engine shed and staverton station both in o scale and i am now doing the cargo ship again in o scale all worked well i just doubled up the card thickness

so

print only = light card

light card = med card

med card = heavy card

heavy card = print 2 and double up

i also print on to a4 self adhesive labels much better than glue sticks

to enlarge open file in acrobat select edit and then snapshot highlight area then select print

in printer properties select high  and then enlarge 176% check it fits in preview and hit print

thats it

hope this helps

houseman

Archived