A Big Four Era Layout

Garethp8873

Hello Guys,

Although my layout had started being built back in October 2011, I have only now decided to start a topic on Rmweb about it. As it says in the title my layout is one that represents the Big Four Era. My layout dosen't respresent a specific area due to me having rolling stock from all four companies on the layout. As of July 2012, only the loco depot track needs laying and then the rest of the work can begin.

I will present photos below showing the layout being built from October 2011 til now.

The first four photos show progress on layout from October 2011 to around November. Not much happened after this until around May 2012.

img1324tr.jpg

This is what I had to play with back in October 2010. It has come along way since this.

img1577ox.jpg

First proper train that ran on the layout.

img1778lm.jpg

The goods yard, this was just after the coal drop on the right had been placed into place.

img1786k.jpg

A better shot of the coal drop.

img3809y.jpg

And now to the present day.

img3810y.jpg

Had an extra siding added so a goods train or passenger train could wait in the siding.

img3812j.jpg

The Skaledale Gas Works.

img3814wb.jpg

The scratchbuilt GWR Transfer shed with Cattle Dock.

img3815y.jpg

This has been the hardest building for me to find. Since I wanted a layout, I wanted to have this shed on the layout as well.

img3816hx.jpg

An overall shot of the goods yard and the Gas Works.

img3817a.jpg

And just an up to date photo of the Coal drop.

Well this is the start. Any questions please and I will help in anyway I can.

Enjoy,

Garethp8873.

A grouping era layout is probably a good title for your post, the beauty of all the common wagon types is that they did travel so much!

Certainly plenty of goods wagons on your layout, coal drop looks really good.

Thank you! You'll see over time that I have many different wagons of not only the Big Four but also the pre-grouping companies. I do have several favourites as well such as the LSWR 10T Van and a scratchbuilt GWR Coral A Wagon.

Gareth.

Yes it is. I have a deep interest in goods wagons. To me with engines and carriages there could one or two diagrams, whereas with wagons they had many different diagrams. What you see on layout is just a fraction of what I have overall. For Big Four, I have GWR, LMS, LNER, SR wagons. Then for pre-grouping I have Barry Railway, L&YR, CR, LNWR, Midland Railway, H&BR, North Eastern, LSWR, LBSCR, SECR. The pre-grouping of course is minor but does add alot of flavour to a goods yard.

Update for 22/07/2012:

Starting to look at the Engine Depot, seeing what other track we need. Got a turntable being added and I should be including a GWR Coal Drop. May have room as well for a two road shed as well. My friend has been able to sort out couplings for ten wagons and they are now back on the layout ready to be used. I have a friend doing the track and wiring for me as I do not want to screw up anything. Pics below.

img3821fr.jpg

Area where the engine depot shall be.

img3818h.jpg

GWR V16 Mink A Van, LMS (ex-L&YR) Van and a GWR 12T Van.

img3819n.jpg

LMS 12T Open Wagon, LSWR 10T Van and LMS (ex-Midland Railway) 8T Open Wagon

img3820r.jpg

GWR 10T Open Wagon, Yorkshire & Lincolnshire Tar Distillation Co. Rectangular Tank, LNER (ex-NE) 20T Hopper Wagon and GWR 7 Plank Open Wagon

Update for 29/07/2012:

Turntable and track for the engine depot has started to be laid. Part of one track has been put in for the the Four Engine Shed but I am waiting now for some Peco Inspection Pits to go in the shed. Could some tell me whether I should get inspection pits for all four tracks or not? Turntable has been put into place but requires painting and wiring up. Between the mainline and Four Road Engine Shed a track has been laid which can be used for either coal wagons or Perm Way wagons.

img3824v.jpg

As for the other end of the engine depot, where the locos are positioned I am hoping to place a Hornby R8850 Skaledale East Engine Shed. The third track will be used for locos awaiting coal from the Coal Stage. As for the Coal Stage, I am hoping to get the Coal Stage that Townstreet do. Since seeing the GWR Coal Stage at Didcot Railway Centre, I have always wanted this for my layout. Enjoy the photos.

img3825c.jpg

img3826no.jpg

Hi Gareth,

Nice looking layout developing there. Lots of stock, wagons too, mostly GWR region. Only one LNER loco I can see.

Can you show us a plan and a picture of your control box.

Mark in OZ

Hi Gareth,

Nice looking layout developing there. Lots of stock, wagons too, mostly GWR region. Only one LNER loco I can see.

Can you show us a plan and a picture of your control box.

Mark in OZ

Hello Mark,

Thank you very much. I do have a lot of pride with the wagons that I have on the layout. I am trying now to find LNER, SR wagons and pre-grouping wagons. As for LNER locos I do have several such as the B1, Sentinel, J72, J94, A4 and D49/2. As for a plan, I only have a photo of the plan of the layout. If I can anything better soon I will do so. As for controllers, I have one of for the goods depot and the main lines and the other will be for the engine depot when that is completed. Pics are below for you.

Gareth.

img1556fr.jpg

img3837a.jpg

Archived