1st Generation DMU's at 24A Accrington

I'm trying to find information on the 1st Generation DMU's which arrived at Accrington shed (24A) in the mid to late 1950's. I used to have some information in one of Stuart Taylors books which were unfortunately 'lost' during the removal to my new location, so I'm pretty well starting from scratch again. All information will be valued particularly regarding Class designations (original and TOP's), formations and running numbers. Thank you!

A batch of eighty five Cravens vehicles (class 105) were built in 1957 (lot 30352 – DMBS M50752 – M50784, lot 30353 – DMCL M50785 – M50817, and lot 30354 – TCL M59307 – M59325) and formed into nineteen three car and fourteen power twin sets. The three car sets were initially allocated to Derby for East Midlands local duties They were replaced around 1969 by class 120 Swindon Cross Country units from the Western Region and transferred to Accrington where they were reduced to two car power twins (M50752 - M50770, M50785 - M50803) with the trailer vehicles being withdrawn.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/pics-by-john/5798672251/

Thanks for the information. It's typical I suppose that I actually remember them arriving at Accrington and frequently saw them passing my old home in Blackburn. Like many other steam fans at that time however, I simply ignored them because they had usurped my favourite Stanier and Fairburn 2-6-4T's. Hindsight is a fine thing. I can now get myself down to The Train Shop for two of Bachmanns Power-twin sets for the new layout.

Archived