Presflows to Fort William

Mike T

Hi Guys

A search of both this site and the net in general has turned up several references to Presflows (and Prestwins) being used for Alumina traffic to Fort William through the 70's and up to the early 80's. What I can't find is photographic evidence - can anyone oblige?

Regards

Mike

Guest Max Stafford

While I can't find the link s at the moment, I have seen photos of Fort William shed yard with Presflos in the back ground and I've also seen photos of them in the consists of goods workings to Ballachullish (for Kinlochleven) though I believe the flow was re-routed to The Fort about 1965.

Dave.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Mike,

This is when all those carefully saved 'Fotopic links are much missed :O

Still not found out whare a lot of people moved collections or just abandoned the idea of available online collections as an option.

Anyway - search on RMWeb for Alumina gives some otehr results for you.

Easist link that is still working is this one:-

http://www.railbrit....loc=Invergordon

and

http://www.railbrit.co.uk/location.php?loc=Ballachulish%20Branch

Will try and find others as I can.

Thanks

Hi Mike,

This is when all those carefully saved 'Fotopic links are much missed :O

Still not found out whare a lot of people moved collections or just abandoned the idea of available online collections as an option.

Anyway - search on RMWeb for Alumina gives some otehr results for you.

Easist link that is still working is this one:-

http://www.railbrit....loc=Invergordon

and

http://www.railbrit....achulish Branch

Will try and find others as I can.

Thanks

Hi Phil

Thanks for this.

I have seen the Ballachulish pic before but must admit I can't tell what the wagons are on the Invergordon one! Whilst I realise these wagons will ultimately end up at Fort William according to the caption I would be really happy to see a picture on the WH line and in the late 70's.

Keep diggin'!

Regards

Mike

Phils beaten me to the Ballachulish branch reference, inevitably they will be featuring on a certain new layout of mine - but (and Phils photo backs this up) that by the early 70s the Burntisland - Fort Bill workings seemed to be predominantly Cov Hops, although the Presflos were still about? Or is it that the photographers concentrated mainly on Cov Hops?

Phils beaten me to the Ballachulish branch reference, inevitably they will be featuring on a certain new layout of mine - but (and Phils photo backs this up) that by the early 70s the Burntisland - Fort Bill workings seemed to be predominantly Cov Hops, although the Presflos were still about? Or is it that the photographers concentrated mainly on Cov Hops?

Hi Andy and Phil

The reason behind my original query was a comment from George O'hara no less in a letter to Hornby mag where he stated "... Presflos, Prestwins and Covhops also conveyed alumina from Burntisland to Fort William via the WHL well in to the 1980's..."

Pics we need pics!!!!!

Mike

• 4 months later...

I have a feeling that this train ran overnight. Lots of photos when they ran to Connel Ferry then onto Ballachulish, but cannot recall any on the WHR. Back in 1970 I had a large model of Crianlarich under construction. Pride of the line was a block load of 12 Hornby Dublo Prestflos bought from Hattons. BUT in those days there was no model engine which could pull this load on Peco Nickel Silver trrack...............now.....ah yes plenty of suitable models!

APS to my earlier post George C O'Hara's Scottish Region Colour Album No 1 has on page 12 a southbound fORT William to Cadder Yard freight with four CovHops wsorkingn back to Burntisland. Douglas Blades-that renowned source of Railway Books at all Scottish Shows-alos mai order- may well still have copies

I have a recollection of a very good photo either on the cover or possibly inside of a Railway World magazine with an industrial steam loco shunting an Alumina Presflo. Apologies but my RW are impossible to reach!

But descriptions can be a problem. There is a chapter on British Aluminium in

Fox, M. J. & King, G.D. Industrial steam album. Publ Ian Allan 1970 144 pages SBN 7110 0174 X

No photos show Presflo, despite one being captioned "No. 3 wrestles with a line of presflo .. Only one wagon is shown, and it is an LNER steel covhop for this traffic.

Paul Bartlett

Archived