'Scantic Line' loco query

Talltim

Loco - possibly a Fairbanks- Morse HH 10-44 http://www.monon.org...2FM-18-1946.jpg or the HH12-44 ( up to 1952 the walkway curved up to the cab - after that it was steped as the photo. It may be a chop-job, as the hood looks too short

The only reference I can fid to Scantic Line is the American Scantic Line - a shipping company that ran between New York and Northern European ports - possibly also had links with the Caribbean, and with Alcoa http://www.theshipslist.com/ships/lines/americanscantic.htm

I would agree it's likely an attempt at an Alco HH

I think the road will be a made up 'home road' - somebody has picked ATLANTIC COAST LINE as the basis for the livery as that lets them re-arrange the letters for their road name - which is quite clever. ;)

Articles on Bashing in mainline Modeller Jan 91 and

There was an article by Stan Rydarowicz that kitbashed an Alco HH-660

from Atlas Alco S-2 and RS-3's. It was published in RailModel

Journal, December 1997..... but since it is available from Atlas .......

It's very nicely done, but as Jack points out Atlas do an RTR one these days.

TBH the end of the hood on the one in the RMJ article looked too round to me, probably because it was culled from the RS3 hood end, this one doesn't so I wonder if the builder used RS1 parts.

Nick

Articles on Bashing in mainline Modeller Jan 91 and

There was an article by Stan Rydarowicz that kitbashed an Alco HH-660

from Atlas Alco S-2 and RS-3's. It was published in RailModel

Journal, December 1997..... but since it is available from Atlas .......

There was also a resin hood for a HH660 from JJL Models that was designed to fit the Proto S-1, but I think the OP's loco is probably a kitbash.

• 11 months later...

Hi Talltim. The Scantic loco is mine it is an Atlas HH660 painted for my own rr the South Hampden North Somers & Hazardville or the Scantic line the Scantic is a river that goes thru where I grew up the paint scheme is based on the ACL & yes I chopped up ACL decals for the road name. I also have RS1's in the same scheme but new locos are getting painted green & silver. The Scantic is one of those crusty branch lines where nothing ever gets cleaned & everything we own is used. The handrails in the photo look realy bad because the paint flaked off & there are no couplers in the photo either because I use Sergent Engineering couplers which I have to change if I use the loco on anyone else's rr. Dale

Archived