RMweb

NCE Powercab - consists

wellsy

Good evening everyone

I have a prob with advanced consist setting up with my powercab. The units involved each have a Bachmann 36.554 21 pin 3 function decoder, their addresses are 7141 and 6068 (a 4-CEP and a MLV). When I try to set up a consist to run them together, I set it up as consist no 127 (the default), but when done I find that I have consists numbered 7141 and 6068 in the stack, but neither will cause any of the units to respond. Reverting to "select loco" and entering the unit numbers just gets mne the unresponsive consist addresses on screen. I try to call up consist 127 - nothing.Have emailed Larry for help but I wonder who else may have experienced and solved this problem

Thanks

Peter W

Does the Bachmann decoder support Advanced Consists, which use CV19 ? I suspect it does not, which is why they don't work.

The Bachmann 36-554 is a very old decoder design, and won't have the features or capabilities of more modern designs.

- Nigel

Good evening everyone

I have a prob with advanced consist setting up with my powercab. The units involved each have a Bachmann 36.554 21 pin 3 function decoder, their addresses are 7141 and 6068 (a 4-CEP and a MLV). When I try to set up a consist to run them together, I set it up as consist no 127 (the default), but when done I find that I have consists numbered 7141 and 6068 in the stack, but neither will cause any of the units to respond. Reverting to "select loco" and entering the unit numbers just gets mne the unresponsive consist addresses on screen. I try to call up consist 127 - nothing.Have emailed Larry for help but I wonder who else may have experienced and solved this problem

Thanks

Peter W

Hi Peter

Nigel is correct - the Bachmann 21 pin decoder does not support advanced consists. To use them with an NCE Powercab or Procab you need to use the "Old Style" consist - I speak from the experience of someone who also has the same decoders in a 4CEp and MLV.

Regards

Mike

• 4 years later...

Thanks you two

I got the same answer from Larry at NCE, and I can confirm oldies work fine - and I should know as I am one!!

Thanks again

Peter W

Peter W and Mike, (or anyone else that may be able to help!).

Sorry to drag this one up again.  I have a pair of Bachmann 20's which I have today fitted with identical basic Hornby 8-pin decoders as both locos are the older ones without lights.

They work fine on the "old style consist" except I can only get 28 speed steps on the Powercab.  When I accelerate they are lovely and smooth up till speed step 8 then there is a surge of speed at number 9 but then accelerate nice and smooth again all the way up to 28.  Bit annoying to get that jump of speed between the two steps.

I guess it's because I'm using very basic decoders but just wondering if you had such a problem?

Thanks in advance guys. 

Archived