Bachmann Bulleid coaches - body is loose fitting on under frame.

Space as much as anything means I cannot buy every railway model that is made so I have very little Southern stock except for a 'few' Bulleid loco's.

As Bulleid coaches are said to have influenced the BR Standard Stock (which we now call MK1), and could be seen on services to the South West of England, I am buying Bachmann Bulleid coaches in crimson and cream to make up a 6-coach train. [Visualise; semi open brake second - corridor second - corridor composite - corridor second - semi open brake second - (loose) open second].

Ebay has yielded three coaches so far but they all have the same fault in that the bodies are loose on the under frames. From past experience with Replica and Bachmann Collett coaches, and Replica MK1 coaches, I know that it is unwise to remove the tops because they do not go back as close fitting as when they were new. At first, I thought that all three Bulleid coaches had been tampered with but now think that maybe they all were loose fitting when they left the factory.

The design of the model relies on the coach sides to be close fitting on the under frame to trap the glazing strip as tight as possible to the sides. If the body is the slightest bit loose there is a large gap between the glazing and the window apertures which looks horrid.

The only improvement option would seem to be to glue the sides to the under frame but this risks damaging the paint through glue spread and makes future repairs impossible without breaking something.

Can anyone on this forum offer any guidance on this. I have no knowledge of the green coaches.

Thanks in advance.

Archived