Train Detection for hidden areas - a different approach?

RandyWales

Hi again...

I was recently mulling over an electronic solution for train detection in my hidden loops - to stop the trains in the right place.

I then remembered that I had bought a miniature CCTV camera for use on my Maenol Mine microlayout.

It is used for revealing the Coal Loading process as shown here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VF7Le0r4ys4&feature=player_embedded

A quick rig-up and adjustment of the lens focus and my train detection worries on Costleigh were over.

post-6897-0-68842200-1343605536.jpg

The camera is made by Swann and is available for around £20 on Amazon.

Connection to my portable TV is via SCART.

Randall

Is it rigged up to a system which stops the trains for you, or do you have to do this yourself?

Hi Rod...

No and Yes.

For the life of me I can't see any reason to incorporate it into a complicated system.

I would have loved to have an integrated system with feedback to my control panel. But hey! Life's too short.

By all means, those with the time and inclination could develop the idea, but for me, it's the KISS prinicple

I must say that I detected a hint of mockery in the question.

Randall

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all....

CCTV in use at Pendon...

Mrs RW and myself visited Pendon last Sunday, and I was delighted to note that they are using a CCTV solution for monitoring train location.

I was told that it was introduced following problems with their electronic system. They have cameras in strategic locations, and the two CCTV monitors are switched between them as required.

Humbled to find that Costleigh is in such esteemed company.

Randall

Archived