Premier Travel (Cambridge) paint colours.

stewartingram

Can anyone suggest the correct shades of blue to use for repainting Premier Travel buses & coaches? I have the book on the history of the company, and it is stated in there that the paint colours were specially mixed by a local supplier to the requirements of the company. I also have plenty of photographs. What I don't have though, is any idea what paint to use! The various EFE etc models that have been produced are not the right shades, and I want to correct this, if possible using enamels though at a push I will use acrylics.

The era I am interested in is the late 50s/early 60s, with the dark blue/light blue combination; also the cream used on double deckers. I am not interested in the later 70s/80s modernised liveries.

Any help greatfully acknowledged in advance.

Stewart

I believe the original two blues were Cambridge and Oxford blue. The Harrington produced by EFE was pretty accurate for the green/ blue used for a brief period on a fairly small number of buses before reverting to the light and dark blues but if photos are to be believed, the two shades used from the seventies onward were completely different to those used in earlier days. The Alexander Y type was also fairly accurate for the seventies period, albeit the version of the bus it was applied to was incorrect.

Archived