Hornby M7 Wheel Removal

AJ'S

Has anyone found a way of removing the driving wheels from a long frame M7 please? I have removed the first keeper plate and the 2 screws from the second keeper plate. But this only seems to free the rear of the keeper plate the front does not want to come lose. I don’t want to damage it. It has all the brake gear etc. attached to it. Any help would be gratefully received.

Thanks

Alec

The front of the second keeper plate fits snugly around the outside of the chassis block, where it carries all that fine detail, it isn't just a flat piece on the bottom of the chassis block. This type of assembly can readily get gummed up, even dried lubricant residue is enough, and if any of the adhesives used in the keeper plate detail assembly were still active when it went on the chassis block it may be tacked on. Look for the gaps in a good light, then try and get a small blade in to wiggle it loose, working around the assembly to all accessible points. Slow and patient should get you there...

I gave up trying to remove the second keeper plate. I do think Hornby should think about making it easier to dismantle there models for maintenance etc. Instead I scored the keeper plate with a scalpel and bent it up so I could remove the driving wheel with the gear on. I have now machined the 2 wheels and fitted traction tyres. The M7 will now pull 10 coaches no problem and up a gradient. As this worked so well I may do other locos if I need to. The N15 is a possible contender. Always assuming I can remove the wheels.

Alec

Archived