Milepost? near Stockton

RJS1977

A non-railway friend of mine has recently photographed this sign close to the Stockton-Darlington line:

AndrewWmilepost.jpg

(Precise location is 54deg 32' 52" N 1deg 20' 7"W).

It would appear to be a milepost but it's unusual to see one with only the fraction and not the number of whole miles. (The mileposts on that stretch of line are measured from Leeds).

My friend would be interested to hear any more information on this sign. He wondered if it went right back to the railway opening in 1825, but I would have thought that was unlikely as mileposts didn't become widespread on railways until 1845.

Can anyone here shed any more light on it?

Many thanks

Richard

The zero point is always rather arbrtrary but often reflects railway history. In this case I'm presuming you are somewhere east of Eaglescliffe in which case the route was effectively a continuation of the Leeds Northern which missed out York and passed underneath the ECML at Northallerton with connections but no common section. I presume the NER therefore decided to continue the mileposts from Leeds up towards Middlesbrough and they appear to have continued the same series right round through Sunderland to end at Gateshead.

It would appear to be a milepost but it's unusual to see one with only the fraction and not the number of whole miles. (The mileposts on that stretch of line are measured from Leeds).

Not if you think about it. To save the cost of one cast for every quarter mile you'd do one for every milepost then a batch of common ones for the quarters.

Here on the GE concrete posts with 1-3 black dots can mark the quarters on some sections.

C6T.

Archived