Metro Cammell Pullmans

andyman7

Having noted that Bachmann had released a further batch of Met-Camm Pullmans in the reverse grey-blue livery I was wondering whether to augment my fleet, and indulged in a little research. The findings were quite surprising in that I found out that only one Kitchen Second and two Parlour Seconds ever made it into this livery. The first batch of grey-blue Kitchen Seconds were numbered as the sole recipient of this livery (E334E), but following normal practice Bachmann have released the latest batch with a different number, the problem being that the new version never actually ran in that livery. More bizarrely, the first release of the Parlour Second depicted one of the two vehicles that did receive this livery, but the re-release misses the second and plumps for a fleet number that is erroneous for this livery.

Ironically, the latest release of the Umber/Cream Kitchen Second features E335E, a vehicle that ran in this livery until the mid 70s, inclduing use to provide the catering on Motorail services - so if 70s BR is your thing, you're better of with this model then the supposedly 'correctly' liveried one for this period.

I'm not one for knocking the manufacturers (and Bachmann have done a magnificent job in augmenting the models at our disposal in recent years) but I was surprised at how quickly I was able to find this out from my living room, and it does rather undermine Bachmann's renumbering policy in this case.

in that I found out that only one Kitchen Second and two Parlour Seconds ever made it into this livery.

Presumably as the second class Pullmans were progressively replaced with ordinary coaches at the end the sixties/early seventies. (Mk2d/f stock from 1971/1973 onwards.)

Of course there is also the Modelzone Limited Edition Twin Pack First Opens (ex Parlour Seconds) which I believe are still avaliable.

Yes, I have the Modelzone twin pack, and picked up the umber/cream car 335 today too.

I'd already picked up the new batch of the grey/blue First Kichen, but originally thought that might be too many kitchens for use in my set - in fact it's perfect as the later rakes which included Mk2ds for the 2nd class accomodation appear to have the Met-Camms formed PFK-PFO-PFK. I'm quite happy about not buying the other grey/blue new batches as it saves me a bit of money overall!

Archived