Cleaning Old Triang plastic bodies

I have acquired a Triang EM2 basket case which I intend to rebuild. What should I use to clean the filth off the plastic parts without damaging the plastic or the markings?

I always use mild detergent and cold water and the aid of an old tooth brush. White spirit will deal with stubborn marks - take care some attacks plastic. I have Tesco own brand which seems OK, but the formula can change without warning. The markings are usuall y heat printed numbers (and almost indestructible) and transfer emblems (delicate - don't scrub). Dry any metal at once. Nameplates are likely to be printed paper - try to avoid wetting at all.

I too would go for a soft toothbrush and something like washing up liquid. (Some stains may respond better to biological washing powder). It's always nice to hear of older models being rescued. Far too many just get binned when, with a little effort, they can be given a new lease of life.

You can also use spray furniture polish. The economy labels are OK. (As above, watch the transfers, and paper labels will not like it.)

Meths will strip paint off, so don't use that on (or near) any painted parts. (Like Buffer Beams). It can be OK on just plastic mouldings, like carriage roofs.

A lot of grime will come off with just water, (Cold. Or even saliva, which can digest some crud! :O )and a soft tissue.

Edit:

I did mean cold water, and added the secret ingredient I left out before...)

• RMweb Gold

You have to be real careful with old loco bodies IF you don't want to respray - the years of accumulated finger grease etc can very easily cause a white bloom when exposed to water, especially warm.

I use liquid soap (carex) on a soft toothbrush with a tiny amount of COLD water to scrub off the crud. A quick shower under the cold tap (ours is a bit fancy and had a showerhead type setting) and then dry off asap.

No guarantees as you can still get some blooming even with this approach .....

Archived