Sleaford West

For a project under construction we are in need of detailed photographs of Sleaford West level crossing,1985 to 2010, looking west, especially any that include the shunting signal and gate arrangement and fence line located on the south side.

Nige....

• 2 years later...

For a project under construction we are in need of detailed photographs of Sleaford West level crossing,1985 to 2010, looking west, especially any that include the shunting signal and gate arrangement and fence line located on the south side.

Nige....

I realise that this reply is resurrecting a 2-year old thread which had no repsonses, but I have just come across this aerial photo on the Britain From Above website, of Sleaford station in 1951. If you register as a member, you are able to zoom in to a great degree and the detail is fascinating. Almost the entire track layout from beyond West Junction to a little beyond East Junction is visible and all of the station/goods yard area. Even the transfer sidings on the Cranwell line are there, plus most of the signal positions can be made out as well.

For anyone interested in, or with memories of, Sleaford station in busier times - this is marvellous.

http://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/image/eaw035001?search=sleaford&ref=3 

I'd not seen this before but I don't think Sleaford West has changed much, if at all since I first signed it in 2008, apart from the main line signals becoming colour lights rather than semaphores. The gates are the same and I presume fences will be pretty much the same.

I assume the shunt signal you mention is the one with a disc on a post from the headshunt back into the yard? I'll see if I can find my sectional appendix from that time.

• 3 years later...
  • RMweb Premium

Nigel,

Sorry, but I've only just found your post (I didn't join RMweb until Oct 2017). I have posted a photo of the signal you were enquiring about in another thread. Don't know if you have seen it. If not, and you would be interested, I will post again on here (save you searching for it) - just let me know.

Regards, Ian.

Archived