Artificial Coal

my new layout - The Maxwell Colliery Loading Tower - was going to be using Greenscene's artificial coal (ref GS308) for the wagon loading but Greenscene have just informed me that the supplier to them of this product has shut down. As a result I am now short of the amount I need. I currently have 5 bags and have purchased another 5 from DCC Supplies (5 was all they had in stock) tonite but I am still 5 bags short! Squires no longer have a supply of them either.

the only alternative appears to be Gaugemasters product (ref GM112) but I haven't seen this before and don't know how fine or otherwise it is. Has anyone experience of it and do they know how it compares to the Greenscene product.

any comments would be greatly appreciated or if anyone knows if a local model shop to them has a stock of the Greenscene product could they let me know.

thanks - Max

• RMweb Gold

Max, you're not filling your wagons with the stuff are you? Hope this is not teaching grandma to suck eggs, but use some foam to fill the wagons to the required level, then just spread a layer of "coal" on top. This will save you a lot of "coal". If you want to fix the load in position, I line the wagon with clingfilm then put one layer of foam cut to the floor size of the wagon. Then add a shallow "coal" layer and fix in place with slightly diluted PVA glue and leave overnight to dry completely. When dry, lift out using the clingfilm and peal carefully away from the foam-coal layer. Use some more foam to fill the wagon to the required level and top off with the foam-coal layer. This means that you can empty filled wagons and fill empty ones! Don't forget that coal came in different grades so you need some wagons with large lumps, right down to those filled with slack. Some modellers will say that the only thing that looks like coal is coal.

Some modellers will say that the only thing that looks like coal is coal.

I'm one of them. How about finding your local coal merchant, crushing and sieving your own? You can make a heck of a load of coal from a few lumps, far more cheaply than buying the artificial stuff in small poly bags.

Archived