The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Ed's Grand Day Out

edcayton

I took my friends Brian and Chris, their daughter Janet and Chris's Dad Ray to the Imperial War Museum Duxford yesterday. The main reason was to attend a Motability event where Brian and Chris wanted to look at some of the cars on display (Brian is blind and therefore qualifies for Motability).

We were able to test three cars-the VW Touran, the Vauxhall Zafira Tourer (this is the new model, they are still selling the old one) and the Chevrolet Orlando which none of us were aware of. All of these were automatics and could seat 7, so they can take the grandchildren out with them.

We were ever so impressed with the Chevy, It was roomy and comfortable and is very much on their list, although the nearest dealers to Stevenage are Luton and Cambridge.

Anyway, everyone in the party got free admission to the museum and tokens for free drinks. Janet and her Grandad went around looking at stuff whilst we were involved with looking at the cars and taking them out on to the roads for test drives. It was extremely interesting to be able to compare the cars wit "back to back" test drives.

After the cars I had some time to look at the planes. Brian and Chris were not bothered so went off to find the others. By the time I caught up with them the girls had booked a pleasure flight which was conditional on getting 6 people before it would happen. We waited until 5.30 which was the last time they would fly, and went to get their money back.

I then found that the flight was not in the single engined Cessa/Piper, but in a DeHavilland Dragon Rapide! That changed everything and I asked if we paid for six they would take us. We did a deal on the price and all five of us went. What an experience! Absolutely fantastic. Only about 15-20 minutes but far more memorable than hours in 737's.

A brilliant day

Ed

Archived