Mystery n.g. locomotive.

From the Industrial Railway Society's Herts & Middlesex Handbook, this is 99 3461 an 0-8-0 built by Vulcan, Stettiner Maschinenbau AG of Stettin, Germany in 1925 which arrived at the Knebworth West Park & Winter Green Railway in June 1976 from the Romney Hythe & Dymchurch Railway (where it had been stored only). It left Knebworth in May 1978 for the C.F.Froissy-Cappy-Dompierre, Amiens, France. I'm not sure of its previous history before 1976, but a sister loco 99 3462 (built by Oreinstein & Koppel) was stored on the Festiniog Railway between 1972 and 1978, after which it returned to Germany. Presumably both were originally imported from Germany.

I think the loco behind 99 3461 is the Bagnall 4-4-0T ISIBUTU.

I hope this helps

Just to add a bit more background, the loco was built as Vulcan-Werke (3852 of 1923*) for the Mecklenberger Pomeranische Schmalspurbahn (their no. 9), being renumbered as DR 99 3461 in 1949. A German list (Jens Merte) shows the loco first sold to Vale of Rheidol (between 1969 and 1970, but not supported by the Industrial Railway Society's "EL1").

The "sister" loco (O&K 12518/1934), which became DR 99 3462 is to be found on the Dampf-Kleinbahn Mühlenstroth, Güterloh as "MECKLENBERG" no. 12:

http://www.dampfkleinbahn.de/fahrzeuge/lok_12_mecklenburg/index.html

(Again, German sources indicate the loco was sold to Vale of Rheidol Equipment Ltd in the early 'seventies, thence to the Ffestiniog).

*Some sources give 1925. Interestingly, the preceding loco in the works list - 3851 - is the 0-8-0T 53Mh preserved operationally on the Rugenische Kleinbahn.

From memory, the Vale of Rheidol Equipment Ltd. was formed by a group with ambitions to acquire the VoR from BR, instead of course it was sold to Hills & Rampton.

I don't think the loco actually went to the VoR, instead it went to the Festiniog probably only for storage.

Archived