Layout lighting

Hi everyone

I am starting this topic to get everyone input on my thinking (this dose not happen that much I know)

As you all know I am building the water tank line. When I was working in a new store for a day or so I noticed that on the meat fridge that they had a red and white LED lighting the shelf's, this got me thinking about how to light my layout I know I still have not got a train to do a whole circuit yet!.

At the moment I am using Fluorescent tubs to light my railway which is in the attic so I have control the light as off or on this is not giving me much apart for day or night this dose not fit my plan for my layout of everything working which can work so this has got me thinking what can I do.

My first thought was to use strips off LEDs but but how to control them, I thought about my next idea which was to control LEDs to make 4 circuits so I can try to create day and night but this would need a lot of LEDs and wiring to work. This stuck with me for a while to I went to a night club and saw that they were using big LEDs light to to create different colourers. After a lot of looking on the internet I found out that they use a system called DMX512 which give you a lot of control This should give me the way to get day and night I thought.

My next step was to get some professional help after more reading on the internet I found a local DJ supplies store I went down their and stated talking to them and they said I had the right Idea but just a bit of course they said I will need a white LED light for the correct colour which I thought was a good point but this just did not look right when I was looking outside but I could not put my finger on it then on my holiday I visited your and their were a few museum where they were creating day and night with light the were not just using white light they used blue and red. I am now thinking I will use the DMX system with a use controller and both white and RGB spots to create all the effect I want.

What dose everyone else thick any comments are welcome.

Richard Brown

There are lights of lighting options, including dimmable flourescent tubes and ballasts (but they aren't cheap). Take a look at http://www.lampspecs.co.uk/

You can see what effects can be achieved with different "temperature" tubes or lamps; e.g. http://www.mediacollege.com/lighting/colour/colour-temperature.html

LED technology in theatre lighting has come a long way in recent years - but do remember that the colour doesn't 'mix' until a certain distance from the lantern. Indeed, getting sufficient distance from the light source, together with an appropriate and useful angle is the greatest problem with lighting a layout. Hence having to use multiple sources, and all the problems that creates.

• 3 months later...
  • 10 months later...

Bring this topic up to date. I have now been using the lights on my layout they still have not be fixed in place but I find tgat I can make day to night and back again I have found to get the correct light effect I need to to use the RGB light to get a day light effect. But to get night I just use half of the white light only the cool white light. When finances allow I will be getting more light.

Richard

Archived