Liverpool book bus

flyingsignalman

After a day roaming around various North Wales locations I decided to return home via Liverpool (aka "Injun territory").

I managed to miss my turning for the Birkenhead tunnel and ended up somewhere north of the city centre. While trying to find my bearings I spotted the bus shown in the photo, in an area that I think became part of the Eldonian village.

post-6748-0-28430100-1345323224_thumb.jpg

I took this one with the kids in front and convincing them it would be in the "Ecker" also took one without them; I passed that one on to a friend who was more interested in buses but I'm glad I kept this one!

Perhaps one day I'll send it to the Echo and keep my promise

The photo was taken 29/6/1981

• 5 years later...

After a day roaming around various North Wales locations I decided to return home via Liverpool (aka "Injun territory").

I managed to miss my turning for the Birkenhead tunnel and ended up somewhere north of the city centre. While trying to find my bearings I spotted the bus shown in the photo, in an area that I think became part of the Eldonian village.

attachicon.gif0420.jpg

I took this one with the kids in front and convincing them it would be in the "Ecker" also took one without them; I passed that one on to a friend who was more interested in buses but I'm glad I kept this one!

Perhaps one day I'll send it to the Echo and keep my promise

The photo was taken 29/6/1981

I have a photo of that in the Barnsley breakers, taken around 1993. Sad it didn't survive having lasted so long, but the Merseyside Transport Trust have two or three examples and I think one may also be preserved on the Isle of Man, where some saw further service.

Interesting to note that the bus had returned to its original owner for this role.

I did hear a story that there was more than one L500 in use as a Book Bus, but can't confirm this.

Archived