Home Built Static Grass Applecator

I have made a Static Grass Applecator with bits from Wicks, Maplins, Hallfords. I got the insperation from a film on You Tube.

This is the finished Grass Applecator.

index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=199705

A list of components

WICKES

1 Pipe it was the pipe that goes on the toilet cistern to the bowl. £2.99

2 Blank Ends 40mm Solvent type with the screw on blank £1.98

1 Straight connection 40mm Solvent type £1.49

Maplins

1 SPST Switch £2.59

1 Black Crocadile Clip £1.29

1 Red led 3mm I got a bag of 5 £2.49

1 PP9 Battery Connecter £1.19

1 PP9 Battery £3.99

HALFORDS

1 Aluminium Mesh £1.99

WILKINSONS

1 Tupperware box £1.00

OATLEY ELECTRONICS

1 Negative Ion Generator £18.98 including p&p

This item is from AUSTRALIA

the web address www.oatleyelectronics.com

TOTAL £39.98

index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=199706

I started by cutting the pipe approx 9ins long and cleaned the ends and glue one of the blank ends on one end, cut a approx 5mm of the thread and slide the Negative Ion Generator in that end so the single red wire is at the open end. Drill a small hole the same dia as the red wire in the centre of the screw on blank and screw the blank on with the wire through the hole.

Drill a 40mm hole in the bottom of the tupperware box and put the box on from the other end, glue the straight connecter onto the the blank end and onto the tupperware box.

index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=199709

index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=199707

index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=199708

index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=199710

index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=199711

The lid of the tupperware box you cut a large hole and then cut a bit of the alluminium mesh to go over the hole and glue this in place with hot melt glue, then connect the red wire to the mesh and put hot melt glue on the connection to make it more secure.

index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=199715

index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=199717

Now we go to the other end, glue on the other blank end so it is flush with the pipe and drill a 6.5mm hole for switch about 40mm down from the top and a 4mm hole about 25mm from top for the red led, and drill a hole for the earth wire 20mm from the top and right hand side of the red led. Make up a sleeve to go inside of the pipe from the of cut of the pipe and glue at a depth of 60mm, make up a round partition to go into the pipe with a hole to take the red and black wire and glue onto the sleeve.

index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=199712

Now for the wireing, There is red and black wires from negative ion genarator, connect the red to the middle terminal of the switch and connect the + wire of the led to a resistor then connect to the red wire on the switch then connect the red wire of the battery conection to one of the the end terminals you can fit the switch in place but make sure the toggle goes down for on. Now connect the - wire of the led to the black wire and the black wire of the battery connecter together, put a length wire through the hole that is left and tie a knot so to stop it from pulling through and connect to the black wires

index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=199718If you have any questions please ask.

RAY70B

post-3746-0-32096500-1345518014_thumb.jpg

post-3746-0-75785200-1345518019.jpg

post-3746-0-34386800-1345548412_thumb.jpg

post-3746-0-05474300-1345551947_thumb.jpg

Pretty much the same approach, though a neater looking result, as I used for mine, including the Oatley ioniser unit. The main differences are that I used a push button switch that needs to be held down when in use. That way, I don't forget to switch it off when I put it down. My container and mesh are an old Carr's ballast tub with the bottom cut out, and a stainless steel tea strainer. Currently they are, rather ineffectively, held together with double sided tape, but I may try your approach with the hot glue gun to improve it. The other main difference is that I used an external 12V power supply, rather than a battery. I've not tried a 9V battery, but comments elsewhere suggest the higher input voltage gives a higher output and somewhat better results.

This is what mine looks like, together with some of its first results:

post-6746-0-96060300-1345923022.jpg

Have you tried your's yet?

Nick

Hi Buffalo

I did not thought of yousing the carrs ballest bottle, I went for thr tupperware box from Wilkinsons (2 for a pound) the only thing is that the lids are not very tiat got to hold on with bands. I like the push button I thing is a lot better.

The picture here is not very good

post-3746-0-66731300-1345948987_thumb.jpg

Thanks for your comment.

RAY70B

Can't wait to get mine fired up!

I am going to try a cappuccino sugar duster made of stainless for the fibre container. I like the idea of the push button for control. I also want to try adding a plug to disconnect the fibre container from the tube containing the negative ion generator so that the discharge doesn't travel down the wire when it is turned off.

The results are certainly worth the effort of building it!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Archived