LNER G5 0-4-4t newbuild

relaxinghobby

Hi this modern version of the LNER G5 0-4-4t branch line engine is already at an advanced stage and I have only just found out about it.

It is now at Shildon Rail Restorations, the boiler and bogie have been made, the frames are being constructed.

Using the RMWEB search I could not find any reference to it in this forum so is it breaking news to us ?

The ides is to provide a new replica engine based on original plans suitable for use on short steam heritage railways to replace the aging historic engines that are wearing out.

The new engine is built to modern safety standards and will be eligible for a mainline certificate so it will be able to roam far and wide.

See the G5 website at http://g5locomotive.co.uk/latest-news/24/

LNER Forum has had this news for a while. It will be great when it finally appears as I would think that one of the R-T-R Model manufacturers will produce one. I was planning to have a go at building LRM kit for Ponteland branch as they ran with Push pull set.

I will check out latest news on their website in a few minutes. I may start planning a visit to the old dart again just to see it when completed.

Mark in OZ

I found no previous mention of this new build version of an old design in this website either using the on forum search facility or from the outside of the forum using Google, e.g. I googled things like 'RMWEB G5 0-4-4t" and found only models, so I thought I had a scoop.

Any way it's news to me and good news at that and a nice change from the big glamor projects such as Tornado, The Brighton Atlantic and Duke of Glouscester.

Does any one else have trouble finding stuff in the what must by now be the vast files of RMWEB ?

Archived