loksound v4 speakers

Sultan

A few questions to help guide me with my sound project.

If I run two 8 omm bass enhanced speakers in parallel with correct polarity, from a Loksound v4 chip will I have to reduce the volume in order to keep the amplifier from overheating? (cv 63 0-192,default 180)The v4 manual does not give any volume restriction.

Secondly is this a good combination,or perhaps one "normal" speaker with the biggest size that will fit in the loco and one base enhanced is a better sound pairing ?

Speaker locations would be in fuel tank facing down and below radiator fan facing up, fitted in a Bachmann 45 loco with chassis sound ready.

Or perhaps I gain nothing with either of the two speaker set ups and one quality 4ohm would be just as good.

Thank you in advance for any experiences/advice to start my installation off on the right foot.

Best regards,

Sultan.

This isn't one of my best subjects but as far as I'm aware the total load should not exceed 4 ohms and by running them in parallel then this is not exceeded as the total load is 4 ohms so in theory you can have maximum volume. Having said that, the volume that it was recorded at may play a part in this as driving it at full volume may introduce clipping of the high and low frequencies.

I have found that a good enclosure works wonders on a ordinary speaker so I wouldn't have thought that two bass enhanced speakers would be needed? How close are your neighbours!! :-)

I do have a loco with two standard speakers in parallel in the fuel tank (class 37 & v3.5 chip). This means they are equivalent to 2 ohms and the maximum they can be driven is 63. This loco blows your socks off but I don't know if it's the speaker arrangement or the enclosure. I have not repeated this in any other loco.

I have a couple of loco's with standard single speakers in parallel where there isn't a good place to let the sound out but with space for two speakers. There is a marginal improvement but would probably be better to swap them for one decent bass speaker.

You have to be a bit careful with facing down speakers in the fuel tank if the speaker magnets are close to the motor. The two will interfere with one another. Mine face up in a baffle with holes drilled in the bottom of the tank and it still sounds great.

Hope this helps.

Den

Archived