GSWR query

colmflanagan

Hallo all,

I have just recently acquired a (rare, I believe) DJH model of a GSWR Manson 381 class 4-6-0., and a lovely little loco it is too. It will be pulling boat trains from my Stranraer layout (and yes, i know they wouldn't have got down there but they did get far as Girvan, I understand!)

Can anyone tell me what colour the GSWR used for it's loco lamps? I have seen a painting which suggests black - they certainly don't look white in most photos. The same painting shows a single lamp on the smokebox front - what would an express such as I'm running have carried. Any ideas?

Colm Flanagan

• 7 months later...

Hallo all,

I have just recently acquired a (rare, I believe) DJH model of a GSWR Manson 381 class 4-6-0., and a lovely little loco it is too. It will be pulling boat trains from my Stranraer layout (and yes, i know they wouldn't have got down there but they did get far as Girvan, I understand!)

Can anyone tell me what colour the GSWR used for it's loco lamps? I have seen a painting which suggests black - they certainly don't look white in most photos. The same painting shows a single lamp on the smokebox front - what would an express such as I'm running have carried. Any ideas?

Colm Flanagan

Hi Colm. I have but recently joined the forum and notice your request regarding G&SWR headlamps. Thge Ammendment to WTT issued in March 1898 gives for "Express Passenger Train ,Breakdown Van Train goint to clear thge line or light engine going to assist disabled train ........  A white light at foot of chimney and one over left hand buffer" (That is,right hand buffer as viewed from the front.) The Sou-West used both white and green lights in their headcodes. Colour of the actual lamps is not stated but all contemporary paintings show Black.

Archived