Irton Road: Heywood locos in 7mm scale

Dava

• RMweb Premium

Back in the 1990's I was keen on the 'Minimum Gauge Railways' of Sir Arthur Heywood, and interested in their later life on the Ravenglass & Eskdale Railway.

The result was my model of 'Irton Road' station, featuring Irton Road as it was in the 1920s-50s period, in which the station was sometimes a hive of activity with stone, timber and passenger traffic, but more often the tranquil place it is today between trains. The locomotives – Effie, Katie, Ella - and carriages built by the minimum gauge pioneer Sir Arthur Heywood were mainly scratchbuilt, with a few of the etched brass and resin kits of the day. may be seen, together with later R&ER stock. A few visiting locomotives also appeared.

The layout is compact, measuring only 5 feet x 20”, and actually fits on a paste table, but includes all the familiar features of the original - the overbridge, the station building, the small workshop – as well as Miteside loop and quarry siding round the back. The scale of the model is 7mm: 1foot, with a track gauge of 9mm. Natural materials such as moss were used in creating the layout scenery and there are many farm and wild animals and other details. The figures were painted by my son James.

I exhibited the layout several times in the late 1990's till about 2002 and it has been in store since then - until today, as a possible return to display is on the cards. I had no digital photos of it so after setting it up and running some trains, I created the album at

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/gallery/album/2357-irton-road/

There was quite a community of 09 and 'Ratty' modellers at the time and we had good fun exhibiting the layout. It doesn't look bad for work of its age and looking forward to running it again.

Dava

post-14654-0-87177100-1346008468_thumb.jpg

post-14654-0-55485600-1346008551_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

We will be showing the layout at Weston on Trent school show on Saturday 11 November - a rare outing for the layout and locos, which have just been serviced. See Effie, Katie & Ella in action...

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/62574-weston-on-trent-south-derbys-model-railway-show/

• RMweb Premium

Thanks to all who came to see 'Irton Rd' at the very enjoyable first Weston on Trent school show - and much to our surprise, voted us Best Layout!

Here are two photos of the Heywood sisters (Effie, Katie, Ella) and a passenger train at Irton.

The layout is available for sale to a reasonable offer (unique locos and stock may also be negotiated).

Heywood sisters

Dot.Irton

Archived