Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Figworthy

figworthy

• RMweb Premium

Having spent months reading everyone elses layout threads, I thought I ought to start one of my own, although given my usual rate of progress, updates are likely to be a bit sporadic.

Figworthy has had a slow creation. I moved into a house with the space to create a small(ish) layout 11 years ago, and shortly afterwards inherited enough OO track and more than enough rolling stock and locos to get me started. But first the house was in need of much work. Whilst that was underway, I spent much time deciding what to build. I'd also got my hands on my father's old model books, amongst which was a copy of C. J. Freezer's "Plans for Larger Layouts", the smallest of which was slightly smaller than the space I had available, so I started to look at using that (a tail chaser with a branch line). The period 1945 - 1970 looked (to me) as an interesting period to use, giving me the options of steam (big 4 and BR), and diesel. The transistion from "green" to "blue" seemed to be a good cut off as that also largely marked the end of the rural branch line. Since the stuff I inherited had a definite western slant, it seemed sensible to stick with that area (although I reserve the right to invoke rule 1).

In the mean time, I started to visit the occasional exhibition to see what was possible, and what sort of "stuff" was available. I'd become aware of DCC, so decided from the start that I would use that (thus rendering all the locos I'd inherited unusable without modification). At Warley one year I came across the MERG stand and discovered CBus (which was just starting to come available), they pointed me in the direction of JMRI as a means of control. I decided early on that I would prefer to keep "signal box" and "footplate" operations separate, so loco control is being entrusted to NCE.

Looking around at exhibitions and various sites online, I was drawn to the idea of building my own track (thus rendering a large stock of second hand code 100 redundant), so I got hold of a copy to Templot and started to play. It soon became apparent that the plan I was looking at using (a 10x7 plan) wouldn't easily scale up to 10x9.5 as it seemed to be based on tight curves and short points, whereas I was after something a bit more realistic looking. Much head scratching ensued, and in the end I came up with what I have started to build, two BLTs for the price of 2. Each side of the rectangle will host a terminus, but there will be a loop running right around the outside (off scene) which means that I can send a train from one terminus to the other, but not have it arrive straight away, or it can leave one terminus, allow the loco to run round, and then come back again. This has the advantage that I can have an opening section that isn't landscaped, meaning that I don't have to crawl to get into the middle.

One of the termini (Figworthy) is based on the terminus in the original CJF plan, whereas the other (Nether Blagdon) is based on that of Blagdon (Somerset), but is a slightly compressed mirror image, in no way is it meant to be a reproduction, hence the name.

What the history books don't tell you, is that the route was built by the West of England Railway Company (an independent company, but linked to the GWR). Being a relatively late addition, it was built in standard gauge from the outset. Their route was a little unusual as it had two ends, and connected to the rest of the world somewhere in between. Nether Blagdon was always intended to be a terminus, but Figworthy was intended as a through station. Like so many companies, their ambitions outstripped their finances (and economic reality), so eventually the route finished at Figworthy, with the ongoing route having a short life serving one of the quarries in the area (and being closed and lifted some in the 1920s).

This however was not the first railway into the Figworthy area, much earlier a horse drawn plateway had been built to take stone from the quarries down to the coast, at some point this was upgraded to a narrow gauge steam hauled route, which has a connection with the standard gauge route in the station yard at Figworthy.

Enough of the wittering I hear you cry, what have you built. Well work at the moment is underway on Nether Blagdon. Part of the outside loop has been laid, as has the main area of the station (the yard will follow when I've bought the components needed). Attached are some (probably not very good) pictures taken from the buffer end. Motors have been fitted and I've started to wire those back to the CBus CAN-ACC5 and CAN-ACE8C boards.

Adrian

post-13511-0-94722300-1346082109.jpg

post-13511-0-92248900-1346082114.jpg

post-13511-0-64327300-1346082111.jpg

post-13511-0-48888300-1346082113.jpg

• Like 3

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Progress through the autumn was rather slow for a variety of reasons, but I managed to make some progress over the holiday period. The station yard sidings have now been laid.

post-13511-0-40853500-1356904349_thumb.jpg

post-13511-0-03261900-1356904308_thumb.jpg

I've also been busy underneath

post-13511-0-18693700-1356904564.jpg

post-13511-0-91148400-1356904698.jpg

All the turnouts have their motors installed and tested, and a JMRI panel built to control the station.

Adrian

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Morning Adrian.

Good to see what you've been upto, following our earlier discussions on Cobalt motors and wiring. Keep the posts and photos coming - there's nothing more likely to inspire you to work faster than posting on here!!

Cheers,

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Evening Jeff,

Morning Adrian.

Good to see what you've been upto, following our earlier discussions on Cobalt motors and wiring. Keep the posts and photos coming - there's nothing more likely to inspire you to work faster than posting on here!!

Cheers,

Jeff

01:40 ! Up early or late to bed ? :)

Work has already started on the next stage (which in due course will provide the baseboard for the entry to the station), but I think it will be a little while before that produces anything photogenic. Once I've got that down, then I can put in the track that leads up to the station entrance, and then I'll be able to run something. Wagons pushed by hand work through all the track nicely, but I'll be happier once I've run some locos through, then I'll start on the more scenic aspects.

Happy new year to all.

Adrian

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

The last month has not been wasted.

Firstly, I've built and installed an access route to the narrow gauge fiddle yard.  This is a narrow strip of ply shaped a bit like a reverse ? to allow a 90 degree bend.  This is suspended below the top level baseboard using M6 studing set into T prong nuts.

post-13511-0-00802900-1359920950.jpg

Doing that meant that the baseboard for the next side was largely fastened down, so I was able to make a start on track laying on there.  Templot templates were printed out, fastened together, and then fastened down.  Over the weekend I laid a couple of hundred sleepers, and 4 one metre lengths of track  (and a day out at Stafford show).

post-13511-0-31499400-1359921498.jpg

post-13511-0-11263300-1359921511.jpg

Next job is to connect the droppers to the power bus, then I can test drive a loco on the track (a wagon seems to run round OK).

After that I need to build a bridge to carry the track away from the station, one that is done (it may take a bit of time), I can complete the track on that side, which will properly allow trains to run into the station.

Adrian

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

A little more progress over the last month.

The curve disappearing into the distance in the pictures above now has an almost complete pair of turnouts (the ties bars need fitting, and then motors setting up).

post-13511-0-86264100-1362256727.jpg

Because of the limited access to the underside of the board here, the motors will be mounted upside down.  As this will be behind a backscene, this shouldn't be a problem.  Given the relative ease of access to these motors, I'll be using the pair of tortoises that I've got lying around.

The right hand point will give access back to Nether Blagdon station, but before the track can be laid, a bridge needs to be built.  This will cross the silted up remains of Blagdon Creek.  Most of the last month has been spent building the bridge (hopefully another day will see that finished), then the abutments will need to be built up to support the deck.

The bridge is a plate girder bridge, currently the deck is not attached to the beams.

post-13511-0-49160300-1362257118.jpg

post-13511-0-43230000-1362257143.jpg

The beams have had a coat of Halford's finest primer, but how to finish them.

Adrian

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Nice to see you're back on the job again. Maybe you should join the Lunester community and we'll badger you so much you'll have finished the layout by yesterday!

Keep the posts coming!

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Nice to see you're back on the job again. Maybe you should join the Lunester community and we'll badger you so much you'll have finished the layout by yesterday!

Keep the posts coming!

Jeff

Thanks for the posting.

I've not been off the job, I try to get something done at the weekend, but weekday working is not an option at the moment (next month it might be), so progress will be slow.  As you can probably tell, the layout is in the loft (which has no heating) and it has been a bit cold up there, last weekend my hands went numb, which limited progress a bit.

I'm not working to a timescale (I get that during the day, this is supposed to be a change), It'll be done when its done.  If I've got Nether Blagdon station built by the end of the year, I'll be happy.  I'm enjoying the fiddling around.

Adrian

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

A weekend away and the cold snap has proved to be a bit of a brake on progress.

I've finished the bridge, and laid the track across it, but having had another look at it, I'm not happy with some aspects of the construction, so it'll be scraped and another one built, almost the same but with some minor changes.  That can wait.

In the mean time, I've made a start on Nether Blagdon Quay, which is where the Figworthy Quarry Company's narrow gauge route runs to.  The track has been laid and wired up, and "Mabel" has had a run over it to make sure all works.  Next step is to fit the point motors.

Three pictures for your delectation

post-13511-0-32737000-1366575067.jpg

The climb up past Figworthy station and on to the quarry will start about where Mabel is waiting.

post-13511-0-01133900-1366575080.jpg

post-13511-0-09058800-1366575099.jpg

The last shows Mabel sat on the quayside.

Adrian

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Another month, another update.

The 6 turnouts on Blagdon Quay have been fitted with motors, and a JMRI panel built and the whole lot set up and working.

I've done a bit of work on the basin, and I've started on the paved area along side the quay.

post-13511-0-23415600-1368989516.jpg

post-13511-0-36229100-1368989535.jpg

In due course the walls around the basin will be finished with stone work, then the paved area on the quayside will be extended to the quay side.

scenic works needs to be done towards the back of the quay area, then a new bridge can be built and installed allowing the upper area (Nether Blagdon) to have the scenic work done.

Adrian

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Another month, another update.

The 6 turnouts on Blagdon Quay have been fitted with motors, and a JMRI panel built and the whole lot set up and working.

I've done a bit of work on the basin, and I've started on the paved area along side the quay.

attachicon.gifblagdon_quay_4.JPG

attachicon.gifblagdon_quay_5.JPG

In due course the walls around the basin will be finished with stone work, then the paved area on the quayside will be extended to the quay side.

scenic works needs to be done towards the back of the quay area, then a new bridge can be built and installed allowing the upper area (Nether Blagdon) to have the scenic work done.

Adrian

A bit more progress.

The quay side has been laid, scribed and I've started to paint it.

post-13511-0-36463300-1370631350.jpg

post-13511-0-22488900-1370631361.jpg

The white panel at the on the side of the quay will get covered in more DAS, and that will become a cliff face (I've almost run out of DAS, so that will have to wait).

Following on from my enquires about goods sheds http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/72494-goods-shed-design/ I've extended on of the sidings at Nether Blagdon, and with the aid of some Lego, put in  a rough prototype for the building.

post-13511-0-66098500-1370631608.jpg

post-13511-0-60124500-1370631624.jpg

• Like 5

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

It's been a while.  A combination of it being too hot to work in the loft, and a grumbling back.

So, some progress since the last post.  The rest of the quay side has been "Das'd" and scribed, and the initial paint job done.

The one of the curves on the outer loop has been lifted and relaid.  I reckoned that I'd got it in at 2nd radius, but it was noticeable that whilst 4 wheel wagons went around OK, six couple locos weren't entirely happy, so out came Templot, the largest possible radius was worked out, and printed off.  The old track was lifted, and then relaid on the new templates.

Whilst I'm not going to do much scenic work just yet, for guidance purposes, I've fitted the divider between the outer loop and Nether Blagdon station.  The outer loop is meant to be "off scene", hence the divider.

I've made a start on the platform for Nether Blagdon station.  So far all I've got is a box frame made from 2mm ply, but it is a start and gives a feel for what is going where.

Last weekend by way of a change, I started to build a NSE GWR Stop signal.  I don't think this one will find its way onto the layout as my workmanship is fairly ropey, but it is my first attempt at soldering brass work together, and I wasn't particularly expecting a good result from a first attempt.

Some pictures below.

post-13511-0-27855500-1377024300.jpg

The quay side, I think the rest of the ground will end up under foliage or "bare".  I suspect that a small office will appear at the foreground end of the paved area.

post-13511-0-02665400-1377024375.jpg

The start of the station platform.

Adrian

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Hi Steve,

Hi Adrian,
Appreciated the backstory, makes the pictures more engaging. Do you have a trackplan? I'm tring to figure out the 'long run'

Cheers, Steve.

See below.  The right hand side is Figworthy station, the left hand side is Nether Blagdon, and the plan only shows the standard gauge part of the layout.

post-13511-0-08652100-1377026690_thumb.png

The outer loop is all off scene, so the part across the top would not be seen at all.  The space in front of it I'm hoping to develop into Figworthy quarry (the other end of the narrow gauge route).

The point on the outer loop (bottom right) leads off to the fiddle yard.  This arrangement allows me to run trains into either station from the fiddle yard (with a reversal for Nether Blagdon), or to run shuttles between the two stations, either directly, or after several trips around the outer loop. The section across the bottom will be hinged, so I don't have to crawl under to get into the inner area.

Ah, having previewed it, I see that I'm missing a section of track across the bottom (including the turnout to the fiddle yard).  How do I get Templot to include that ?

Adrian

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I've spent part of the weekend playing around making up prototype buildings.  An office for the quay side, and a goods shed for Nether Blagdon.

post-13511-0-56045700-1377548747.jpg

I think is probably about the right size for the office building, all it should need is a desk, somewhere to put the paper work, and a fire (which would be able to boil a kettle).

The goods shed is a bit more involved

post-13511-0-13181600-1377548898.jpg

Not that clear from the picture, but the road access is at the far end, rather than along the side.  A trail run also suggests that the rail entry/exit is a bit tight.  How wide should it be ?  I think the end nearest the camera will end up with a lean to office attached to it.

Adrian

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Adrian, I've noted that 'Figworthy' took an interest in what was going on at Hintock and it's nice to see you have made a start on something for yourself.

I look forward to your progress. A good start.

John,

Thanks for the reply.  Hintock is one of those that I look it in awe and wonder if I can manage something half as good.  Figworthy is really a first effort, I did do a couple of scratch built buildings the thick end of 40 years ago, but they would be rather poor by the standards of today.

Adrian

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Another month, and not much progress.

I had a very pleasant week away, and amongst other things, I stumbled across this rather lonely looking signal box.

post-13511-0-66615300-1381087451_thumb.jpg

Meanwhile back at the manor, I've started on making the new bridge for the approach to Nether Blagdon Station

post-13511-0-25213300-1381088031.jpg

This has been done using the Ratio parts.  The bottom section is load bearing, and only the front will be seen, so, I've put one strip onto 20 thou styrene, and on the back, it is braced with strip to stiffen it both lengthwise and vertically.  40 thou card is used between the two sides to hold it together.  It twists slightly (not a problem once installed), but shows minimal flexing.

I've also knocked up a prototype signal box, which is based on the Gloucester Carriage & Wagon works such as the one at Compton, but the proportions don't look right (it seems deeper than it is wide).

post-13511-0-68774500-1381088468.jpg

Adrian

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Things have been happening over the winter, but not much.

I've done a few bits, none of which are obvious to look at, but in the last couple of weeks, I've made some visible progress.  The sections runs across the bottom of the track plan is meant to be "off scene", allowing me to run trains round in circles, rather than just from end to end.  I've now started to work on that part of the layout.  The first bit of the frame is in place, as is the hinged section that will allow access to the central well.  Templot templates for that section have been laid down, and the timbering put into place prior to the start of track laying.

post-13511-0-70558700-1399662602.jpg

post-13511-0-97223400-1399662628.jpg

Two shots looking in opposite directions.  The wooden blocks on the right in the first one operate a micro switch, which will cut the power to the track when the hinged section is open, I'll also fit one at the hinged end when I get some more M2 bolts.

Adrian

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Progress has been made over the last few weeks.

Track has been laid over the timbering shown in the last post, including building the turnout, although this has yet to be motorised.  The hinged section seems to be working OK, it now has micro switches on both ends, so I won't  be able either drive anything off the end into the abyss, or into the near vertical surface of the raised flap.

I've started on the frame work for the final section of the layout (which will hold Figworthy Station), and the first bit of baseboard is in place for that.  That section of baseboard allows me to start laying track beyond the turnout, and the first bit of that has been done.  The bit that I've done so far allows for access to the fiddle yard.  A temporary connection to a DC controller has allowed me to run a loco over the new track, and all seems well so far.

post-13511-0-18774700-1401640681.jpg

post-13511-0-09755000-1401640701.jpg

Not sure if it is me or the camera, but it looks better in real life.

Adrian

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Progress !

I've now got the track laid for the connection to the fiddle yard, and I've got the first stage of the baseboard for the Figworthy side built.  Whilst I should be able to reach all parts of the baseboard, it is easier to lay the track for the outer loop before I install the remainder of the baseboard.

This afternoon I started to layout the Templot templates.  These are currently lined up to a close finish, but they need a little bit more work before they are glued down.

post-13511-0-02555900-1402861922.jpg

post-13511-0-09903500-1402861944.jpg

Coming in at the bottom can be seen the outside loop as it curves around from the fiddle yard connection (which is under the camera) and the hinged flap.

Adrian

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Premium

Oh dear, 13 and a half months since the last update.

I've been busy doing other stuff.

Still some progress has been made in dribs and drabs, and I've now reached the point where the main track laying is completed, the servos operating the points are set up, and all the droppers are in and connected up :imsohappy:

Next job is to make sure that all the frogs are switching the right way, then I'll look at putting the power on, and I might even run a loco or two (imagine that on a model railway).

So a couple of pictures showing Figworthy station.

post-13511-0-35791100-1437929653.jpg

post-13511-0-78599500-1437929620.jpg

Adrian

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Only 3 months since the last update !.

The servos for Figworthy station are now all set up and working, and I think I've got all the droppers I need in place and connected up.

With a bit of luck, that is pretty much all the electrical work done (until I return to the narrow gauge section), so work can now turn to the more pretty bits.

I've decided to put some scenery on one of the off scene bits.  Whilst this might seem daft, this particular bit can be seen, and it gives me somewhere to practice doing scenery before I start on the bits that are supposed to be seen.  Nothing too ambitious, just a short section with a scenic break at each end (a hump back over bridge in each case), and a shallow cutting between them.  So far, I've painted the section immediately adjacent to the track in a sort of muddy brown colour, fiddled around with some MDF to make a back drop for behind the bridges (and a short box section tunnel painted black inside to help the break), and over the weekend, I've got my rails rusted, and put some ballast down.  The ballast is currently drying, so it will be interesting to see how that looks next weekend when I remove the loose stuff.  I'm using Carr's ballast (a mix of the light and dark), and I've tried using the technique of painting neat PVA onto the baseboard and then sprinkling the ballast onto it.

A couple of pictures for your entertainment.

post-13511-0-69472800-1448214120.jpg

post-13511-0-69653600-1448214178.jpg

Adrian

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Only 3 weeks since the last update, this could become a habit.

The scenic break backboards are now fastened into place, and I've started looking at the bridges that will go in front of them.  I've made up a template for what I think the bridges will look like, and run a couple of trains through (they are camera shy, so no pictures of them), and there appears to be plenty of clearance, so the next job will be to start bridge building, although the arch is a bit more pointed in the middle than I had hope for, the curve needs smoothing out a bit more.

In the mean time, a couple of pictures showing the back boards and the bridge template.

Adrian

post-13511-0-05663400-1449941334_thumb.jpg

post-13511-0-78918900-1449941349_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Another month (and a bit), and a bit more progress.

A couple of bridges have been made.  Having seen Peter Kazer's demonstration at Warley last year, I thought I'd have a go at casting the walls (using coving adhesive) , and then scribing them.  Whilst my first attempt wasn't a success, it was good enough to encourage me to continue.  4 walls were cast, and used to make two bridges, the decks were made from styrene sheet.

The earthworks are made from insulating board which is relatively easy to carve, and they were then covered in a layer of papier-machae to seal it.  A couple of coats of brown emulsion left them looking vaguely embankment like.

The plan was that I'd then add some grass to it, and that would be pretty much it.  Then on the westerham station topic, I spotted Chevening Halt, and so plan B came to pass.  I've built a platform, hollowed one of the embankments, and I've a part built corrugated iron shelter to go on it.  A flight of steps to allow the passenger(s) access to the platform is also part constructed.

post-13511-0-61944400-1454269830_thumb.jpg

One bridge carcass and the start of the platform.

post-13511-0-34501100-1454269903_thumb.jpg

The other bridge and the "earthworks" starting to take shape.

post-13511-0-30314900-1454269982_thumb.jpg

Grass starting to appear, the platform in place with the passenger access at the far end.

Adrian

• Like 3