Colouring the ballast

Steve B

I need some advice. As I remember from when I travelled in the steam era, there was always a black line, oil or whatever, down the center of the line. Looking at so many of the layout pictures and reading the articles and blogs, I can't ever remember seeing pictures or mentions of this. Is this an oversight, or an I misremembering?

Thanks, All.

Steve,

I think you will find this is covered quite extensively on this forum and it certainly is in the railway modelling magazines published in the UK - though I would be hard-pressed to point you accurately to chapter and verse. I feel that replicating the darker centre of the ballast can only be achieved acceptably using an air brush and, since I have failed to master the art of using one, I have not done it on my layout. I have tried to give an impression of the darkening where the locos stand in stations and have managed it with a hand-brush but, apart from that, my ballast is as it came out of the container - two or three shades mixed.

Harold.

Thanks for the links and suggestions. I'm still not seeing what I think I remember, though. This wasn't a generalised dirt between the rails, this was a very distinct black line, around 6-8 inches wide, running down the center. Remembered (?) mostly from looking down from the platforms in the stations. Of course, I may just be crazy.

Steve.

Archived