Model Rail Subscription

Jack

I have, for some time, been rather frustrated by Model Rail. Not the content, which is always superb, but when it arrives.

My in-laws brought me a subscription a few years ago and since then mine has arrived anything up to a week after it hit the shelves of the WH Smiths reference library. I always felt miffed that my loyalty was rewarded by poor service. I was even more miffed that Chris Leigh of this parish didn't bother replying to PM's when I raised this a year or two back.

However, after a hiccup with my latest renewal I realised that my in-laws had been getting MR from uniquemagazines, whereas the advert in MR is from greatmagazines (who are apparently also the publishers) ... so now I have changed suppliers I was not only able to take advantage of the 2-for-1 offer, but hopefully this time I'll get my copy sooner.

My bad for not checking whether UM & GM were linked and who the actual publisher was. So if anyone else (in the UK) gets their's later than expected, check where it comes from ...

I have, for some time, been rather frustrated by Model Rail. Not the content, which is always superb, but when it arrives.

My in-laws brought me a subscription a few years ago and since then mine has arrived anything up to a week after it hit the shelves of the WH Smiths reference library. I always felt miffed that my loyalty was rewarded by poor service. I was even more miffed that Chris Leigh of this parish didn't bother replying to PM's when I raised this a year or two back.

However, after a hiccup with my latest renewal I realised that my in-laws had been getting MR from uniquemagazines, whereas the advert in MR is from greatmagazines (who are apparently also the publishers) ... so now I have changed suppliers I was not only able to take advantage of the 2-for-1 offer, but hopefully this time I'll get my copy sooner.

My bad for not checking whether UM & GM were linked and who the actual publisher was. So if anyone else (in the UK) gets their's later than expected, check where it comes from ...

I'm equally miffed - about your post - I have NEVER 'not bothered' to reply to PMs, particularly those concerning Model Rail and the subject of subscriptions. I suspect that the PMs didn't reach me. Had they done so, I would have replied even if only to say that I can't do much about subs problems. I can only pass on the complaint. Editorial people have no access to individual's subscription details and the whole subs operation is handled by a different organisation in a different town 25 miles away. Also, most of my involvement with anything on RMweb was done in my own time, from home. For obvious reasons, these days, I prefer to limit my involvement with magazine-related matters on or through RMweb and I cannnot recall having received any PMs in a very long time.

CHRIS LEIGH

• 2 weeks later...

I'm equally miffed - about your post - I have NEVER 'not bothered' to reply to PMs, particularly those concerning Model Rail and the subject of subscriptions. I suspect that the PMs didn't reach me.

Firstly, apologies for the delay in replying, we've been without internet for the last 8 days or so.

Secondly, I hadn't realised you hadn't received the PMs. Mystery solved, and apologies.

Particularly as the Model Rail subsciption in question was ordered from elsewhere

My subscription dramas are still unsolved, but we're working on it :(

... and atleast I think i'm dealing with the correct publishing company now, although I'm still not entirely sure how Bauer, Great Magazines & Unique Magazines are all related! TBH if Model Rail wasn't such a good mag i'd have given up by now.

Is it now the done thing to slate Model Rail?

I'm not slating MR, just trying to get to the bottom of what has been a 1st class pita and hopefully get a straight answer so others don't have to have the same hassles. Isn't that what a forum is about? To put it in context, I have spent several years abroad and a subscription has been the only way to get hold of the mag sometimes.

It seems no other mag gets anywhere near the amount of stick they do.

Never had any problems subscribing to other mags ...

I like the mag myself

So do I, as I have now said twice. In fact, if I didn't like the mag i wouldn't have started this thread, or tried to get to the bottom of the problem - i would have quit and not bothered buying it again.

... and atleast I think i'm dealing with the correct publishing company now, although I'm still not entirely sure how Bauer, Great Magazines & Unique Magazines are all related! TBH if Model Rail wasn't such a good mag i'd have given up by now.

Great Magazines is the subscriptions arm of Bauer Media, publishers of Model Rail. Other subscriptions companies also sell Bauer publications, much in the way that other High Street retailers also sell Bauer titles.

CHRIS LEIGH

Great Magazines is the subscriptions arm of Bauer Media, publishers of Model Rail. Other subscriptions companies also sell Bauer publications, much in the way that other High Street retailers also sell Bauer titles.

CHRIS LEIGH

Thanks Chris. That explains it. Hopefully the problem is now solved and the next issue will land on my door on time! :)

Archived