Digital edition

ikcdab

If they are still doing the download once and read forever option then pay the £2.99 and get a months subscription and download everything again including all the issues since your subscription expired and cancel it.

I've done that and hoping that its still the case. And of course if you don't mind being a couple of months behind you can just top up your issues every few months for £2.99. It does seem a crazy business model for them but is better for the end user than being charged £2.99 per back issue as per the other apps

To be fair I do not think RM is any different from the other Mags in this respect - what I do think is good is the fact that if you have a paper subscription the Digital version is free this is much better proposition than the other offers out there. I do agree with the point that you have paid for your magazines but cannot access them if your subscription lapses. I will be interested to see if my Model Railroader's will be available after the subscription lapses as I have syncronised these issues.

To be fair I do not think RM is any different from the other Mags in this respect - what I do think is good is the fact that if you have a paper subscription the Digital version is free this is much better proposition than the other offers out there. I do agree with the point that you have paid for your magazines but cannot access them if your subscription lapses. I will be interested to see if my Model Railroader's will be available after the subscription lapses as I have syncronised these issues.

What I was meaning Trevor was if RM model allows access to everything downloaded while you are subscribed for a month when you subscription is finished then its an amazing deal to the end user. Subscribe one a year for a month and get access to the last 12 months issues. I would love it if the other mags did it the same way rather than charging £3 for this months issue and if you want to read an article in a back issue its another £3 please. Model Rail do a reasonable digital bolt on to their paper subscription but BRM still require a separate digital subscription which is no cheaper if you have a paper one as well. I definitely prefer the RM model to all the rest but cannot see how they make money from it, unless of course they are actually doing something for the benefit of the customer which is a big plus in my eyes

• 7 months later...

Having downloaded most of the available issues I'm now short of space on my iPad. How can you delete individual editions from your downloaded/synced library? I can do it for BRM and Hornby mag, as they use the otherwise dreadful pocket mags app, but the RM app doesn't have a similar facility it seems. Any suggestions great fully received

• 1 year later...

Having downloaded most of the available issues I'm now short of space on my iPad. How can you delete individual editions from your downloaded/synced library? I can do it for BRM and Hornby mag, as they use the otherwise dreadful pocket mags app, but the RM app doesn't have a similar facility it seems. Any suggestions great fully received

That's easy - just cancel your subscription. That way you lose EVERYTHING - including all the issues you paid for! The magazine is great, but this Exact Editions app is a disgrace. They argue that (quoting from their web site https://www.exacteditions.com/help.do )

Subscriptions with Exact Editions work more like Netflix or Spotify than print magazine subscriptions. We offer unlimited access to our full range of issues for the limited period of the subscription, rather than permanent access to specific issues. This means that subscribers can access the full archive of back issues, as well as any that come out during your subscription, but it won't be possible to download or sync any issues once the subscription's expired.

So, if you buy just one-month's subscription you can access all back issues - which sounds great - but only if you read super-fast. At the end of the month all access, including the edition for the month you paid for, is gone again, unless you renew again (which is automatically set ON so be cautious if you don't want it to renew).

The argument that it's like Netflix etc is weak. With movies you have the choice to legally pay for and download a digital copy for your personal permanent use from various legitimate suppliers. With this (digital) magazine that option doesn't exist. At the very least subscription offers should clearly state that its a RENTAL only.

Thankfully none of the other major UK railway mags (BRM, Hornby, Model Rail) operate this flawed model. I think it's a shame PECO went down this route for their otherwise excellent magazine. It's certainly ruled me out as a customer ever again. I paid for a years worth before I discovered this. Now I have nothing left to show for my money. My own fault of course for not reading the fine print :-(

Best thing to do with digital version, is to download it all to your PC, then you have it , even after you stop subscription. I was doing this with my CM subscription, but have not had time recently.In fact i have managed to convert it to pictures which are even easier to read , and resize than the pdf files.

Having said that I don't tend to have time or inclination to go back and look at old copies, unless I know there is something I am looking for. Nice to know it is there though. The digital version is free with the printed version, so I don't feel I am paying for something I am not using.

Compared to the system the other magazines are using, this system for my PC seems to be far more reliable. It is getting more complex to made things available online for different computer platforms. I have got the impression over last couple of years that software companies are trying to recoup the money they have spent on development, then in fact just given it away, because most people did not want or need the add-ons you had to pay for. One reason I prefer older versions of software, although at some point things do stop working .

Best thing to do with digital version, is to download it all to your PC, then you have it , even after you stop subscription. I was doing this with my CM subscription, but have not had time recently.In fact i have managed to convert it to pictures which are even easier to read , and resize than the pdf files.

You can do that (with patience and a modicum of expertise) for the odd page or article, but whole issues would breach Exact Editions "Terms of Service" (http://www.exacteditions.com/help.do?subject=102706). I assume you're not encouraging illegal copyright breaches?

At the end of the day they hide in the small print the fact that the Exact Editions / Railway Modeller version of digital publishing is a restricted rental model only. Unlike all the others that are true digital systems with a download and keep what you've paid for permanently option.

Archived