JDW

• RMweb Premium

Hi all,

Was discussing a repaint with a friend whose grandad drove 47249 shortly before he retired. But we've been struggling to find many decent pictures, ideally late 80s tatty Railfreight red stripe livery, can anyone help?

Also (to those who really know their 47s!) which RTR model would be best to use as a starting point - I'm not talking Bachmann, Heljan, etc, I mean which one or ones (if any) are closest in terms of correct headcode boxes/flush end, marker/headlights, underframe tanks, etc? Basically which would involve least work as a starting point, doesn't matter what make.

Thanks, any help much appreciated!

JDW

47249 had a flush front at No. 1 end, normal headcode box lamps at No. 2 end, no cutaway buffer beams and full water tanks, there are quite a few photos here:

http://class47.co.uk/c47_photos_II.php?index=0&jndex=2&kndex=49&s_loco=47249

It can also be seen that she had larger than normal numbers.

Due to the front end and water tank requirements I think the only rtr model available in that combination is 47461 in ScotRail livery made by Bachmann as a special edition (stands by to be corrected). Certainly the Heljan Railfreight 47 does not have a flush front or full water tanks (but these are easily replaced) and as far as I know none of the ViTrains or any other Bachmann 47s suit.

Looks like a complete repaint from ScotRail to Railfreight to me.

EDIT: My bad, Heljan's 47334 has a flush No. 2 end.

Heljan's 47258 does have flush No.1 but starts life in Freightliner green & yellow, so another full repaint.

The Heljan 47334 "P&O Nedlloyd" has one flush & one h/c box end and does at least start out in triple grey which might be useful. Heljan tanks and buffer beams are clip on parts making it easier to fit the correct ones simply by purchasing the appropriate sprues from Howes.

I'd imagine there are members here with spare 47 bits too ;)

EDIT: My bad, Heljan's 47334 has a flush No. 2 end.

Heljan's 47258 does have flush No.1 but starts life in Freightliner green & yellow, so another full repaint.

The Heljan 47334 "P&O Nedlloyd" has one flush & one h/c box end and does at least start out in triple grey which might be useful. Heljan tanks and buffer beams are clip on parts making it easier to fit the correct ones simply by purchasing the appropriate sprues from Howes.

I'd imagine there are members here with spare 47 bits too ;)

It has got cutaway buffer beams and cab sides so these would need to be added back on. Probably not too much of a job to do.

Either that or make up a flush front on a Heljan 47340 and replace the tanks.

Archived