Blog- The Fatadder's Workbench - Class 73s

RSS Fetcher

Given the slight change in focus of the layout, Class 73s are suddenly useful again. The plan is to do a rebuild focusing on the chassis for now, rebuild with Bachmann 25 power, full separate underframe, bogie steps. Will fit the old Shawplan roof grills for now at least, and hope for some better parts.

I have one model thats been fitted with etched grills for the side grills, and needs new cantrail grills to replace broken parts. I would like to replace the lot, and probably will if some decent etches appear...

As for the fleet, I've been trying to work out which locos to model.

73003 (E6003) Sir Herbert Walker in BR Green, prototype was withdrawn in 1996 so its a bit earlier than the period I am modelling, but I will let that slide for now. This will be at the back of the queue for work though and I do have an untouched chassis under it just in case I decide to retire it.

73109, Battle of Britain in South West Trains, will be powered at one end only (no point making a 'thunderbird' loco AWD) this helps make my pile of 25 bits last a bit longer...

73101, Royal Alex in Pullman, along with the other modifications this needs to be renamed from Brighton Evening Argus. Given its lima this will be fun.... Guessing it will need the cream resprayed, so will keep an eye out for a swap for a Hornby body... This is intended to work on my VSOE set, and will hence get a full AWD chassis.

73129, City of Winchester in faded NSE, 1 driven bogie,

Then I have 4 other bodies, 2 dutch and 2 primed.

From these there are 2 liveries I want for certain, at least one in EWS, one in Mainline, and one other.

So I am thinking:

73128, OSV Buillid in EW&S, had already got the plates for it planning to do it in Dutch so will do nicely in EWS. again this will probably be a 1 bogie job, and will be a full respray. as such it will be one of the later locos to get sprayed (just in case bits appear...)

73131, County of Surrey, in EW&S, again this will be another full respray. Half tempted to do this unpowered to use as a pair for double heading (either for VSOE or TPOs)

73133, Bluebell Railway in Mainline blue, full respray with added detail to ends with WIPACs, 1 power bogie.

Finally 73108 in Dutch, again as per the rest with one power bogie. this will be resprayed (to renumber) and fitted with the chassis/roof detailing.

I have a feeling that I have a finished chassis thats still at Andi's, which may/maynot have another body on it. in which case there is possiblly one more loco to decide on......

Work will hopefully start tomorrow

View the full article

Archived