Pal DVD

oldknotty

I have a question about british DVD regions , is there more than one PAL??? I have many PAL dvd's in my collection and I own three multi region players yet I cannot play all my dvds on all the players ??? What is the reason for this ?? I get incorrect region messages on some of them even though they say they are PAL ?? help !! :-)

Martin

PAL and the region codes are different things.

Region codes are there to prevent people in one area of the world watching DVDs from another. This is used in the US where movies are released first to the US retailers and then later to other countries. Region codes were a way of preventing US produced discs being watched in other countries before they were released in Europe etc.

PAL is - or was - the TV standard in the UK and refers particularly to the way the colour signal is encoded. In the UK, PAL is 625 lines, 25 frames per second. Other countries use different standards and sometimes this can cause a problem with playback of DVDs with either the DVD player or the TV. Most modern DVD players and TVs should be tolerant of the variety of standards and most UK players will be able to play American DVDs. Some US players and TVs will struggle to show a good picture from a PAL disc.

If all else fails, you should be able to persuade your PC to play almost any TV standard but you may still have a problem with the region code.

I hope this helps.

Archived