Sorry if this is a silly question but it is my first. In the 1960s I used to travel regularly from Deepfields station just South of Wolverhampton to Birmingham New Street on the local train running between those two stations. To add further interest my Grandfather was a signalman at that (and another) station in the 1940s and '50s - I remember visiting the signal box then as a child. I am now modelling the area and would like to include accurate traffic.

The actual question is, what type of multiple units would be used on that line at that period of the 1960s and what are considered the best 00 models? I was a teenager then and much more interested in girls and guitars to take much notice of the means of transport. I can just remember that a return from Deepfields cost half a crown (12 1/2p today)

I lived very close to the Stour Valley line, my local station being Smethwick Rolfe Street. Services between Wolverhampton High Level and Birmingham New Street were worked predominantly by Metropolitan Cammell 2 car and 3 car units (later TOPS Class 101).

Regarding the best models available, I'm afraid I can't help you on that score, but I'm sure many modellers on this site will come forward to express their preferences.

Archived