East Dock Yard

rope runner

Introducing (though has been 5 years in conception) "East Dock"!

Set in the year circa 2000 ???East Dock??? is a model of a penultimate station of a single line branch line serving a major freight and European passenger ferry port on Britain??™s East Coast. The station is only served by local passenger services whilst a number of mainline passenger boat trains pass through the area a couple of times a day to meet scheduled ferry sailings at the port. The port also sees a variety of freight traffic, mainly containers, whilst the ferries also carry mail which arrives on dedicated mail trains.

The sidings at East Dock also supports an engineering base for Network Rail acting as a Local Distribution Centre (LDC) for rail engineering projects in the region. Both fresh and spent ballast are handled in the yard at the ???virtual quarry??? operation. Raw materials such as aggregate and cement are also delivered to adjacent sidings to supply a concrete sleeper factory supplying Network Rail.

East Dock area supports a refueling facility for the motive power supplied by a number of train operating companies that run these services.

The excavators run on a motor and rotate 90 degrees and back again and "load" the wagons

So yeah, make of it what you will :) though i will warn you now that setrack points and crazy radius curves were used due to lack of space!

There's also afew missing parts due to some recent maintenence, and hence a lack of stock on the pictures also.

Signalling and weathering the bright ballast are next on the job list though, so that's my xmass holiday sorted :-P

any critisims/suggestions welcome!

My Camera Skills lack greatly!

gallery_5089_566_160321.jpg

gallery_5089_566_229816.jpg

gallery_5089_566_150843.jpg

gallery_5089_566_134458.jpg

gallery_5089_566_158575.jpg

gallery_5089_566_348888.jpg

Ooh very interesting, hope to see some more of this, and a trackplan maybe? like the EWS servicing shed, are your structures a mixture of kit and scratch build, some interesting stuff.icon_thumbsup2.gif

Cheers, Matt

My structures are mainly kits and scratch-built as you say, as modern structures are not the hardest things to replicate in plasticard!

I'll have a trackplan up as soon as i master the "paint" program on my laptop (though it may be a while!)

cheers for the encouragement.

After Xmass, i've fitted my new yard lights and signals and i've taken a few snaps of the departure roads of the LDC and the depot, although there are a few holes where ballast has been dug out...

Next jobs on the list is painting the signals, wiring, re-ballasting and fitting a fence along the raises section at the back of the layout.

enjoy!

gallery_5089_566_212856.jpg

gallery_5089_566_47291.jpg

I'm not entirely sure, i picked it up for 50p at a toy fair.

it's either 2mm finescale or N, and appears to be a chassis off a 14xx, but is definitely 0-4-2

i'll probably ebay it at some point, but i'm still pondering over what it could be

Paul

The wheels seem rather large for a 2mm/N model, I would suggest that the chassis is probably for a 009 (4mm narrow gauge) model of some description.

I would actually have assumed the opposite due to the size of the wheels and their height.

But as i have only dabbled lightly in 009 i could be wrong?

Cheers, Paul

• 3 months later...

Well, a few months have passed, and i've finally completed all the signalling and Yard lights

PHEW.

Next: to change 3 of the yard lights due to them being faulty :(

also, there's still the matter of ballasting a few spots, and sorting out a separate 12v feed for the lights

Anyway, any critisms or suggetions apprecitated

It has been a good Easter Sunday :)

post-5089-12704027812_thumb.jpg

post-5089-127040282747_thumb.jpg

post-5089-12704028525_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

So, all the lights are replaced, with the exception of one buffer stop

I also got a new camera today :)

and so i couldn't resist the temptation of taking a few more snaps

I hope i'm not clogging up the internet with all these...

med_gallery_5089_866_1831403.jpg

med_gallery_5089_866_1502563.jpg

med_gallery_5089_866_32445.jpg

med_gallery_5089_866_2648256.jpg

Anyway, still lots more to do!

better crack on..

Looks very good indeed! I especially like the different colourings and weathered states of the ballast/track in different areas.

What do you use to make the mounds of ballast? I'm presuming that they aren't solid ballast and that you have something underneath to make the shape then cover with a coating of ballast?

Looks very good indeed! I especially like the different colourings and weathered states of the ballast/track in different areas.

What do you use to make the mounds of ballast? I'm presuming that they aren't solid ballast and that you have something underneath to make the shape then cover with a coating of ballast?

Indeed they are not solid stock-piles

They are the conical plastic top coverings off cornetto ice creams, cut down to the right size.

A layer of ballast is then glued onto the cone with PVA, then 2 more layers are conventionally glued on using the old glue,water,washing up liquid method.

and ofcourse, it gives one an excuse to buy ice-cream... :rolleyes:

Paul

• 4 months later...

I'm exhibiting East Dock at the forthcoming exhibition at the Rutland Railway Museum.

The dates are the 29th and 30th of August, in the "main shed"

Should be good fun and an excuse to try out some new departmental stock i havn't had a chance to upload pictures of!

just need to make sure my moving excavators are still working... :unsure:

Paul

Archived