Eastley Works.4mm scale

LBSC123

Hi all,

This is my latest plan for the 2010 Challenge, After deciding I couldn't do O gauge within the Required time, thats one for next year.

So roll on the new plan, It currently is going to be a quiet corner of a Works based on Eastliegh With a Traverser as te center piece. The Idea is that It can be run in most eras With the suitable Change of buildings. The Current Ideas is to have It as a test Bed for DCC set in the 70-80's. With 08s, 03s and 33's trundeling around Shunting stock for overhaul. With 33s taking stock to and from the mainline.

So heres What youve been waiting for:

post-1783-12616532152325_thumb.jpg

minimum Raduis is 20".

The siding at the top right will be a loco lift.

I dont have a clue what to put in the area on the left hand side nor what to use as a sciniec break

Cheers,

Will

Looking good, dude! Hope this one comes off.

In the siding with question mark, how about having a steam loco undergoing restoration?

Also, in answer to your question at club about sound in an 08, Hornby are bringing out a sound chipped one next year in Green. Don't know when as I really didn't bother to check the date.

Good luck though,

Andy.

Cheers for the Idea Andy,

This plan hsould be going ahead soon as and when I get the baseboards built.

for the Running shed I was planning on using this : http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/541-5000

when Did builidings like that start to be built in the UK?

for the workshop I hope to use parts from the Design preservation Models Range.

Cheers,

Will

This is the Latest plan of mine,

I will be getting the wood for my baseboards sometime this week so then there will be some more updates, I'm currenctly thinking of using 9mm MDF on 2x1 but I may use 9mm ply, Which do you think is better?

post-1783-12620877308194_thumb.jpg

Heres the latest plan with an accest road and site office.

Will

I got The wood for my baseboards Yesterday,

Im using 9mm MDF as per my previous layout with 2x1 soft wood suports, I shall be building them in due course.

Does anyone know the dimensions of the hole you have to cut out for the Heljan traverser?

Will

Interesting plan - I like the idea of making a centrepiece of the traverser.

One thing you might want to check - it looks like the two sidings joining the traverser at the lower left enter it on a slight curve, and the top two aren't quite parallel. I don't know if this is just an issue with the picture, but it might cause you problems later since I suspect the traverser has dead straight and parallel tracks. Have you got enough elbow room on the curved siding to adjust this?

If you're doing this in track planning software, I'd lay out the traverser roads as a set of straight + parallel tracks with the correct length and spacings, and make sure your sidings connect up with them properly without introducing any sharp curves. Like what you've done with the bridge, but for all the exits at once.

Just my 2p, hope this is useful!

Cheers,

Will

Cheers for the Comment Will,

I See what your saying and have had a play on Anyrail, Looks like a can get the siding straight withing the raduis and distanve but thanks for pointing that out it could've been costly!

Many thanks,

Will

Base Boards have been cut to size and a start has been made on the framework.

I will get some pictures up in due course.

I am now considering What I need to do to make this thrack plan suitible for DCC, any help with that will be greatfully apricialted.

Cheers,

Will

At the most basic level you could put one feed in the bottom left and one for each of the sidings on the right of the traverser. But if your points are self isolating you might want to add additional feeds to the inner rails beyond each frog to keep all the sidings live.

Thanks Andy,

I've just had a look at your E-mail so yes I did get it ! many thanks for that.

Todays work envolved painting the boards satin black as a base, still waiting for my parcel from hattons I think it will be monday before ti arrives.

Cheers.

Will

Hi Will, I know what it's like being short of cash, but I really would get the traverser installed before you do any other tracklaying, getting the lineup right will make so much difference to how the build goes. It really would be a shame if you had to rip stuff up and restart because your measurements were a little out.

I agree with that Al,

Thats why I am currently sorting through for some unwanted sotck to put on E-bay and doing favours round the house.

Hopefully I'll have enough money by the end of the week.

Thanks,

WIll

• RMweb Premium

Here are a couple of pictures you may find interesting/useful. First picture is of the main entrance to the major depot in about 1993. The 33 in the distance is 33006, athough the unit obscures 08760 which was coupled to the 33. By this time the 08 was missing it's middle wheel-set - note the bike shed and various bits. post-6831-12639390434603_thumb.jpg

As you are probably aware, the traverser was located at the opposite end of the site. Here we see a departmental unit being loaded and 'traversed'. The traverser has a pulley system, which dragged the carriage on. Sadly I don't know how it was unloaded... post-6831-12639391955031_thumb.jpeg post-6831-12639392477596_thumb.jpeg

A lot of interesting stuff was parked by the traverser, predominantly withdrawn vehicles. This picture shows a fire damaged class 423 driving trailer. post-6831-1263939472708_thumb.jpg

In and amongst the coaching stock at the time of our visit was 33058. By this time it was withdrawn. post-6831-12639399023519_thumb.jpg

Stuff for other regions also crops up, which adds a little more operational interest... post-6831-12639396170501_thumb.jpg

Right at the far end of the depot, beyond the traverser was another dumping siding, which ran beside carpark. Here were a couple of wagons, a unit driving trailer and withdrawn 33009, which had been written off in an accident a Meldon Quarry a year or so before. Appearences can be deceiving, the opposite cab was badly damaged and the frames bent - the reason for withdrawal. post-6831-12639402289532_thumb.jpg

Hope these are of some use to you!

Archived