Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Waverley Route new image links and discussion

'CHARD

I avoided it as it didn't look like any part of the WR I recognised.

Funny you should say that - non WR - my immediate thought was that it didn't look a NBR signal box. Looking again, my suspicion is Bank Junction on the GSW, with New Cumnock in the background. Which would probably mean that's a Holbeck A3.

(edit: but I haven't done any checking of that suspicion. Just an impression for the moment)

Funny you should say that - non WR - my immediate thought was that it didn't look a NBR signal box. Looking again, my suspicion is Bank Junction on the GSW, with New Cumnock in the background. Which would probably mean that's a Holbeck A3.

(edit: but I haven't done any checking of that suspicion. Just an impression for the moment)

Yes - Holbeck engine in 1961, later shedded at Heaton, withdrawn from Gateshead in 1963. It's not impossible that it was used on the Waverley, but GSW more likely.

Would agree with suggested location, but can't find an on-line image to cross check. Would suggest from or close to overbridge leading to Lochside Hotel. (NS6014).

Presumably lamp on post relates to buffer stop alongside, but in what way?

Cheers,

26power

Aye, deffo New Cumnock, might have to resort to packing my 'chib' (personal security apparatus) and take a site visit to prove it, can't find anything online either. "agcthoms" on Flickr has some from further North, which convince me that it's Bank Jct SB in the shot, as 26power says, from the Lochside/golf course bridge.

Sorry for false lead, unintentional despite GSW content - honest!

Edit: the modern view attached - taken from bridge rather than lineside (due to thon trees)

post-6670-0-55196500-1311455298_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Guest stuartp

Presumably lamp on post relates to buffer stop alongside, but in what way?

Possibly easier to see from the loco when setting back than one on the buffer stop itself would be, but why ? A driver setting back inside should be relying on the guard's handlamp to tell him when to stop, so unless there was some local reversing/running round/setting back manouevre not involving brake vans I'm a bit stumped

This ebay seller has some never-before-featured photos listed. My link is to BFYE D5305 working bang-road in a possession, if the date is to be believed, near Fala.

Look through the rest and see the GSYP+BFYE Dr Foster twin of repute, and incredibly, a BFYE Met Cam pictured rasping through Tynehead, Hawick from the A7 in '72, BFYE D89 and a great shot from the Holm footbridge of a retreating 2S52.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Railway-Photograph-BR-Class-26-D5305-Heriot-Oct-1967-2-/130548002798?pt=UK_Collectables_Railwayana_RL&hash=item1e65446fee#ht_500wt_1069

This ebay seller has some never-before-featured photos listed. My link is to BFYE D5305 working bang-road in a possession, if the date is to be believed, near Fala.

Look through the rest and see the GSYP+BFYE Dr Foster twin of repute, and incredibly, a BFYE Met Cam pictured rasping through Tynehead, Hawick from the A7 in '72, BFYE D89 and a great shot from the Holm footbridge of a retreating 2S52.

http://www.ebay.co.u...e#ht_500wt_1069

That's the guy selling Norman (G.N.) Turnbull's images ... don't think I'll be partaking all things considered, better to see Norman for duplicate slides then at least he gets something for his labours.

A view of Riccarton I've only seen previously without a train in shot .... Loco ID anyone?!

http://www.railbrit....e2.php?id=34907

Talking of Riccarton, I wandered down there yesterday to reacquaint myself and introduce Mrs 37175 to it ... shame the turntable brickwork is overgrown again, but nice to see a lot of clearfell where the forestry once stood. Also took a wander for a couple of shots of the old bridge over Leysburn that once took the path from Store Brae to Phaupknowe. Another bit of heritage that WRHA once tried to get reinstated! Shame the clearfell detritus has now covered the road down to it from the concrete stile (that is also no longer!) adjacent to the north 'box. <_<

Guest Max Stafford

Makes Gala look like a big station that. It looks like they could just have plonked all the track down again in a day if they'd wanted!

Dave.

Can't believe we've not seen this before. Atmospheric window-hanger shot of 60A BRCW D5340 curving into Riccarton during The Final Week. More evidence to suggest the Highland BRCWs were as prolific as the Lothians at this stage.

http://www.flickr.co...57622602429982/

Oh hello, where did she come from?

http://6lda.wordpress.com/test-history/26016d5316/

GSYP D5316 at ruddy Melrose, in a never before (by me) seen classic image from a very rare vantage, that would now look onto the A6098.

Can't believe we've not seen this before. Atmospheric window-hanger shot of 60A BRCW D5340 curving into Riccarton during The Final Week. More evidence to suggest the Highland BRCWs were as prolific as the Lothians at this stage.

http://www.flickr.co...57622602429982/

An excerpt from the forthcoming article:

"Towards the final days of the line a few rare workings took place, including that of a class 27 working the 15:58 Carlisle - Edinburgh on 7th November 1968. On 2nd January 1969 the 09:20 Carlisle - Edinburgh had another class 27, D5350, on the front only as far as Stainton Junction but due to steam heat problems this was removed and replaced with a class 26, D5340 from Kingmoor, whilst D5350 went onto the depot."

So ... given that the window hanger took a photo with D5340 in it, I suppose it's safe to say that had the original motive power been on it at this point we would have seen an extremely rare "most wanted" shot!

• Like 1

OK, no trains, rails or coaches but tradition involving the railways in the Borders.

Many exiles return to Langholm for the Common Riding on the last Friday in July.

The late train on a Thursday night to Langholm was withdrawn in the 1950s but on Summer Fair Night, the Thursday before Langholm Common Riding, the absence of coaches, then rails and even the station building itself has never deterred returnees. Somehow, perhaps mysteriously, every year exiles always appear off ‘the last train’.

By tradition, Langholm Flute Band meets these returning exiles off the last train and parades them through the streets of the town. The parade now starts in the middle of the A7 (Trunk) road along side Station Buildings on the right of the photo which was taken just a few seconds after the parade started at 9.00 pm on 28 July 2011.

I’m sure that Langholm is unique in having both a memorial cairn and an information board about the railway. Dumfries and Galloway Council have thoughtfully provided a waste bin next to these for the none-too-silent tears that may be shed into a paper hankie.

post-5524-0-21632900-1311892458_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

34 in autumn/ winter '68 at Hawick, with a modern image 1M01. Impossible to imagine, looking at this, that within months it would all be over.

Peaks surely the signature Type 4 Waverley power...

http://www.railbrit....e2.php?id=35067

Not strictly Waverley, these look Kingmoor-bound to me, but we're always keen on proof that 27s hung out in the area, and this is one such bit of evidence:

http://www.flickr.co...pool-60sdiesels

D320 on the Up Waverley across the S&C

http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidwf2009/5669350839/in/pool-1307883@N23/

Tantalising picture of the class 27 in the vicinity. Question is can anyone go the full hog and give us a full blown WR instance?

There is a reward to the first person to come up with one!

I'll go away now and think of what the reward is ...... :rolleyes: