Waverley Route new image links and discussion

'CHARD

Sticking an illicit 'jimmy' down the chimney into the blastpipe of a 12 A Clan reputedly gave a remarkable boost in performance, according to the Kingmoor crews who didn't do it... ;-)

Dave.

Well, maybe that's so, but the fact remains that the Clans were designed to replace the Class5/Jubilee classes on the GSWR and were later assigned to Class 8 duties which they couldn't handle, unsurprisingly. Thence they got a bad reputation. A Class 5 boiler trying to handle a Class 8 duty, doesn't work, e.g Glasgow to Liverpool Exchange.

Nor did they do particularly well on the WR, though they gave a decent account of themselves.

It was after all the end of steam and given some time probably improvements to the drafting could have helped. But altogether a much maligned class. The second batch were destined for the Southern including 72010 Hecate and a further five for the GSW but in the rush to carbon monoxide all were cancelled.

roy graham

Guest Max Stafford

Aye Roy, using a Clan on the jobs often assigned them was a bit akin to bringing a knife to a gunfight!

It's a bit of a shame as with some modifications I suspect these would have been very good engines indeed and in fact the Kingmoor boys were able to get some very good work out of them, mainly due to the aforementioned (ahem) field mod...!

Dave.

Edited by Max Stafford

I've decided 78049 and its ilk deserve a special place in the WR pantheon. What with the withdrawn and dumped at St Peg's shot over on the 'Cathedrals' thread, the new out of the box shot of Roy's, and these taken where she belonged, during her farcically short life - truly a signature type for anyone looking at the St Boswells branch network passenger survivors.

Bit more relevant is this one:

http://ironroad.smugmug.com/Trains/Steaming-Back-2/16907755_FqRK5n#1493225048_p9XfCFj

Cheers,

26power.

I just found this link which although not actually the Waverley, shows some amazingly atmospheric Carlisle shots from '66-7.

Interregional Overdrive! (with apologies to Pink Floyd...)

Dave.

http://ironroad.smug...2804208_Gt7nGLv

I mentioned about trying to find out more information about the 1970 reopening proposal.

It's something of a needle in a haystack task to wade through the records.

I did find this from some time later ( note point 5 ).

He had presumable heard some story to give him reason to write such a letter.

Bernard

post-149-0-30857500-1321011983_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Guest tony graham

Two lovely catches there Chris - and a very modellable formation behind 60011!

Dave.

Is that Hogwarts in the Background Dave?

• Like 1

Aye, the Kent team are finding some good stuff. That load for an A4 was symptomatic of a seemingly distorted allocation of motive power to domestic services that drew the attention of the authorities and bean-counters in a less than sympathetic way. And presumably contributed in some degree to the formative stages of the construction of the case for closure.

Two lovely catches there Chris - and a very modellable formation behind 60011!

Dave.

It is indeed, I think it might be a calling to convert one of my 2 Hornby Falcons into Empire of India!

As to the last coach, I would go with a Thompson, although it's difficult to say....

Can't comment on the Thompson there chaps, but I can go gaga over this moneyshot of GSYP Highland BRCW D5338 preparing to leave the Citadel with the 1.0pm 2S52 on 6th December '68. One month left as her resonant Sulzer tea-cup-tea-cup-tea-cup beat hardens, and she makes for Port Carlisle Jct....

http://www.railbrit....e2.php?id=36402

You see that, that's a perfect candidate for D5332's renumbering, that is. Needs linked to the 60A transition era diesels group, really.

Looks like a standard GUV behind the loco, and possibly a Blue & Grey BG before the standard load 4 pax accomm.

Edited by 'CHARD
  • Like 1