RMweb

Waverley Route new image links and discussion

'CHARD

Lady Victoria Colliery

Found this - linking it also to the Lady Vic pit topic

Nice find there on your trawl through every photo ever taken of industrial steam Oly ;)

Shame there is no date, but I would guess 1970 or slightly later by the locos condition, putting this firmly in the 'freight only' period of the lines existence?

• Like 1

The new Waverley book.

An unofficial update.

I had a chat with David Spaven the other day.

The book now exists as a printed off draft complete with a mock up cover.

No photos as yet but the text includes notes, in some cases, as to where they are to be inserted.

The list of questions that I still need to answer is getting smaller.

There are a couple of cases where the trail of correspondence around the time of closure is incomplete.

Part of the recently discovered material was sent to David Steel and his comment was :- " I wish I had known that at the time".

Some interesting material has come to light regarding information supplied to Beeching.

I have located a draft version of the Beeching Report but have not yet had a chance to read it.

Any one read it ?

I doubt if there is any significant difference but it will be worth while checking.

Bernard (Glad to be back "darn sart" out of that Scottish wind).

• Like 4

The list of questions that I still need to answer is getting smaller.

No, I still don't have the photo of the Class 50 at Riccarton :sungum:

On a serious note, I imagine there will be several incredibly poignant what-ifs in the backstory, especially relating to what was kept from the eyes of the then MP for Tweeddale, Ettrick and Lauderdale. How differently this could have turned out... Conspiracy, moi?

On a serious note, I imagine there will be several incredibly poignant what-ifs in the backstory, especially relating to what was kept from the eyes of the then MP for Tweeddale, Ettrick and Lauderdale. How differently this could have turned out...

Oh yes indeed.

But we don't want to upsest Andy by getting into the area of rumour and speculation. :no:

We might already be in trouble with the Boss with Dave bypassing the like button. :jester:

Bernard

Not sure where this should go so I will put it here. I came across it today while going through some Waverley papers. Thought it might be of interest. In 1969 this was what was up for sale. It included a reference to paying £1 per year for over the line access but BR would sell this for a £20 one off payment. Sealed offers invited for the chunk of land. AFAIK some of the lines on the plan refer to alterations to the drainage to isolate them from the rest of the BR property.

Bernard

post-149-0-58083800-1322768196_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

That's amazing Bernard, thanks for posting it! ... having spent years & years with the people who eventually came to own & renovate the cottage it looks like the area they once described to me. Some years afterwards they bought an additional parcel of land for the property, purchased from the Forestry Commission that covered the upper right area over the signalbox plot.

It bears a striking resemblance to the old LNER plan that I redrew for WRHA use, as below:

post-7852-0-45192400-1322772995_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

A wish list.

But not as we know it.

A little list to mull over with the cornflakes this morning.

Speculation is allowed, indeed it is to be encouraged.

Enjoy :sungum:

Bernard

Coaching stock:

2x Full Brakes BG

3x Brake Seconds Compartment or Open BSK or BSO

1x Brake First Compartment BFK

1x First Compartment FK

1x First/Second Compartment CK

8x Second Open SO

2x Restaurant/Miniature Buffet RMB

1x Gresley Buffet SC1940E (Pencil note states no such vehicle)

2x Open compartment coaches similar to SR 4 car sub-trailer units

If possible we would like the full brakes to be Gresley.

All the above stock to be in good working order, though we would also be interested in some non-operational stock for filming purposes.

Works Train:

10x 8-10 Ton open wagons with drop sides

2x Brake Vans, one fitted with ballast plough

10x Ballast Hopper wagons Catfish/Dogfish

or

5x Walrus ballast Hopper wagons

4x Ex LNER ballast Bogie Bolsters

1x Crane truck and match Truck

4x Van Fits

1x SR PMV

1x Engineers coach

12 June 69

Supplies department

• Like 1

Filming purposes? Not the staged rail incident/ accident that 'employed' the disenfranchised of Hawick as passengers/ victims, surely?

BR Supply Department's internal enquiry to ScR DM&EE on the basis of an enquiry received from BURCo?

Have you deliberately omitted:

5 Class 29 Bo-Bo diesel-electric locos

3 Class 23 Bo-Bo diesel-electric locos

6 Class 28 Co-Bo diesel-electric locos

4 Class 06 0-4-0 diesel-mechanical shunting locos

:jester:

EDIT: I reckon that's the BURCo wish-list when I look at it again. A couple of stopping sets, and a 'Landcruise' set for tourists (very far-sighted), plus the engineers' stock would be about on the money. Yes, that's my theory FWIW.

Edited by 'CHARD

Someone else who regularly posts on here may be able to "fill in the gaps" ............ :yes:

I am sure they can.

A certain name appears on all sorts of documents of the time.

This is indeed the BURCo "shopping list".

The motive power is more difficult to identify from the papers that I have seen.

There are the Derby Lightweight sets and of course Bittern and Blue Peter.

An idle thought is that in 4mm RTR form you could almost model the line circa 1970.

Bernard

Just come across a reference to the possible sale to BURCo of Craven's 112/113 units.

This crops up in an internal BR memo. I don't think that it was ever actually suggested to BURCo.

Oh I do like to demolish ideas. :jester:

Or create even wilder ones.

Bernard

• Like 2

D5337 again in the Citadel's bay, as awesome Peak D190 heads out with the Thames-Clyde* and D8527 is crouched pilot-ready. Pour me a dram of this B&W liquor, boys, I'm in my element....

http://www.railbrit....e2.php?id=36681

* EDIT: It's the ersatz T-C, surely? Leeds - Glasgow, 28/12/68 and the bonzai Waverley is three hours away....

Edited by 'CHARD

Bernard, I'm glad it's you reading that stuff. I'd be fairly certain if it was me, I would end up in rehab, a factor worse than Brian Wilson or Syd Barrett.

I tell myself that I am only looking at pieces of paper with writing on them. You can't transfer any emotive thoughts to inanimate objects. Until last Thursday that was, when I opened a file and read the very familiar first sentence. I suddenly realized what I was looking at. Here it was, in the authors own hand writing. The full thing, except for about four or five pages. Now the whole world and his dog may take it to bed as night time reading but it was a revelation to me.

What was it's history?

How had it survived?

Did it contain any major variations from the published version?

Why was I so keen to read it?

To be continued.

But here is that first page.

post-149-0-58371400-1323073748_thumb.jpg

Identified it yet?

Bernard

• Like 1

["You have reached your quota of positive votes for the day"]

Oh I know fine well what THAT is. It's a PRESCRIPTION.

One that the Borders would be strapped-down and forced to swallow.

Edited by 'CHARD

They say you can't change history ....

... it looks like Dr Beeching wrote that in pencil, so maybe you can!

That was one point that struck me.

Oh for a time machine to go back and change it.

It is also quite remarkable that it contains so few alterations.

He must have had a clear picture in his head of what he intended to say.

I presume that there were earlier notes but the narrative does seem to flow naturally.

I did not copy it all.

I should probably post it in the main part of the forum.

If I did it would no doubt descend into the usual rant.

My interest in in the Waverley Route and I will get round to the connection later in the week.

Bernard

Bernard

• Like 1

Oh for a time machine to go back and change it.

I should probably post it in the main part of the forum.

If I did it would no doubt descend into the usual rant.

My interest is in the Waverley Route and I will get round to the connection later in the week.

I would let them find their way to it Bernard, at this stage. Personally speaking.

If you post it in its own right you'll no doubt be deluged with questions - which might suit you just fine of course - that detract from its posting specifically here.

You're right in saying it may just cause yet another circular chant around a virtual cooking pot containing the man himself.

• Like 1

Time for a short history lesson.

Dr Beeching had a private Secretary by the name of Phyllis Runbold. I presume that she was the person who typed up the report.

She kept the hand written version until after publication of the report and on 5th July 1963 she sent it to The Archivist, a certain E Atkinson Esq at 66 Porchester road. He replied with a note of thanks on 8th July ensuring her that the document would be safe with him. It remained in the BR Archive until it was transfered to TNA at Kew. I have no idea as to the date of transfer. By the condition of the pages I doubt if many people have ever looked at it.

I am still trying to sort out various pages of notes from Thursday so will post on here as I get things in some sort of order.

Thanks for the comfirmation about keeping it here. I do not have either the time or the inclination to get involved in a general argument.

Bernard

• Like 3