RMweb

Waverley Route new image links and discussion

'CHARD

Wowza! Presumably going that way round because those troublesome trucks weren't gauged for the WR, much the same as Freightliner flats.

Beautiful stuff!

Was someone looking for a dubdee on WR metals t'other day?

http://www.railbrit....e2.php?id=25897

Sure was!!!!

Nice find - about 6 years earlier than my time frame but a photo is a photo and it means that my WD can come out of the display case for a run on the layout on a 'accurate' operating day :sungum:

Sunday 5 January 1969

Edinburgh Waverley with the 2055 ex-Waverley to Hawick.

I agree - a dreadful photo, but the flash failed. However, it meant that I could try using the bulb again at Hawick - and it worked second time around. (Remember these blue bulbs with dodgy contacts?)

This DMU arrived in Hawick at 2216 (try that timing with an X95 bus!), crossed over and was signalled ECS to Galashiels at 2219. (St Boswells box had shut on the Saturday night so the section was Hawick to Galashiels.)

Normally this DMU would have remained overnight at Hawick to work the early morning Hawick to Carlisle.

post-5524-0-88355800-1325760685.jpg

• Like 2

That info fills-in a few gaps, especially the normal DMU working. So these 64H Metro-Cammells worked the whole line, albeit as part of separate days' duties. There wasn't a counterpart 12C diagram taking a Derby Lightweight to Waverley, though, as the ECS for example on Saturday night worked in from Appleby - as we learnt a couple of weeks ago - before working back south on Sunday morning.

Today being the anniversary of the bona fide last day of normal main line operations, it's poignant to think of what was going on 43 years ago this minute. The final freights are already long since history, and like you say, St Boswells 'box is now closed, as is Tynehead station. I wonder when the DMU left Galashiels for Edinburgh, ECS and wretched on its futile retreat from the route.

5 January 1969

Hawick station around 1.15pm.

The same DMU on the Up line with the 1155 ex-Waverley to Hawick: once the large loco with the special on the Down line had left for Edinburgh, the DMU would be shunted into the dock to form the1816 to Waverley.

Bruce

post-5524-0-19066800-1325761614.jpg

• Like 1

Note to self: WR bay platforms were used for turning back services right up to the end, better factor that into one's thinking on a model level... :scratchhead:

Back to full size matters, and just discussing the nuts and bolts of the secondary services brings home how important Hawick was as the principal operational, if not the spiritual, heart of the route. Anyway, I'm going off-line now for a weathery trip just shy of two-hundred miles north...

• Like 1

Guest tony graham

Note to self: WR bay platforms were used for turning back services right up to the end, better factor that into one's thinking on a model level... :scratchhead:

Back to full size matters, and just discussing the nuts and bolts of the secondary services brings home how important Hawick was as the principal operational, if not the spiritual, heart of the route. Anyway, I'm going off-line now for a weathery trip just shy of two-hundred miles north...

Look forward to meeting you later today in our very own Starship Enterprise....

• Like 1

Guest Max Stafford

Not sure where the 2P/Inspection saloon combo is, Tony. Not Waverley though. My first thought was round about Girvan but I'm not even sure of that.

Dave.

Thanks I added the B1 at St Boswells yesterday and also joined this Forum, as I am from the Borders originaly and known to both Bruce and Matt. Hopefully I can help with some info around St Boswells. I started working Galashiels Goods Office in 1961 and left BR Employment from St Boswells Booking Office in 1967. My father was the guard on the last passenger train on the Tweed Valley Line St Boswells - Tweedmouth in 1964.

David Burrell

• Like 2

Great to see you on here David! It seems an age ago I popped down to see you & completely fill the car with the layout, perhaps 5 years ago??

You'll probably see more of your photos linked as we seem to have been right through Flickr and most of the other photo sites.

• Like 1

Not sure where the 2P/Inspection saloon combo is, Tony. Not Waverley though. My first thought was round about Girvan but I'm not even sure of that.

Don't think it's Girvan on account of track layout, though see where you're coming from with the backdrop. Got me intrigued, for sure.

I don't know how reliable, date-wise, the LMS pattern lining on the saloon is either.

Great to see you on here David! It seems an age ago I popped down to see you & completely fill the car with the layout, perhaps 5 years ago??

You'll probably see more of your photos linked as we seem to have been right through Flickr and most of the other photo sites.

Thanks Matt,
I have added a couple of Diesels today at St Boswells of course.
Regards David Edited by 'CHARD

Thanks Matt,

I have added a couple of Diesels today at St Boswells of course.

Regards David

I didn't realise you'd put them on just today ... I saw them earlier and wondered if I'd previously missed them! Great stuff!

British Railways Sulzer Type 4 D17 - St Boswells, Scotland

British Railways B.R.C.W. Sulzer Type 2 Bo-Bo D5309 - St Boswells

• Like 1

The first shot of D5310 puts me in mind of her current stamping ground: the approach to Carrog on the Llangollen Railway.

Indeed, it is very similar ... such a shame I had to sell it but needs must & all that (covered previously on here) ... my one dream was to see it plying its trade in the same way, in the same livery as the photos, up at Whitrope .. alas.

• Like 1