Waverley Route new image links and discussion

'CHARD

Guest Max Stafford

One or two issues with the captions; 60042 didn't get her deflectors until '62 and she has OHL flashes, not applied to ScR pacifics until '61/2. therefore I reckon the date for this should be 1963 or sometime July '64 which is when Singapore herself got the chop.

On to Sir Visto, she was broken up at Doncaster in '62; the state of her in the second photo pretty much confirms that location.

I'm going to put the mis-identified 0-6-0 down as a typo!

Good photos though!

Dave.

Edit ; I was referring to east coast pacifics there. It may well be that Polmadie locos got theirs earlier due to their preferred sphere of ops.

Edited by Max Stafford

One or two issues with the captions; 60042 didn't get her deflectors until '62 and she has OHL flashes, not applied to ScR pacifics until '61/2. therefore I reckon the date for this should be 1963 or sometime July '64 which is when Singapore herself got the chop.

On to Sir Visto, she was broken up at Doncaster in '62; the state of her in the second photo pretty much confirms that location.

I'm going to put the mis-identified 0-6-0 down as a typo!

Good photos though!

Dave.

Edit ; I was referring to east coast pacifics there. It may well be that Polmadie locos got theirs earlier due to their preferred sphere of ops.

Yes, a J27 through Waverley would have been a bit of an event in BR days, although it seems that Tweedmouth and Percy Main examples turned up in Edinburgh before and during WW2. It appears that St. Margarets even requisitioned a J27 for the Penicuik goods on one occasion but there is no evidence of them having penetrated beyond Edinburgh so it's perhaps unlikely that one could ever have been seen from Princes St. Gardens.

Bill

Edited by Bill Jamieson

As a matter of interest, Canal also had an allocation of J27s at one time although, according to the RCTS green book covering the class, they seem to have been confined to working east towards Newcastle and never ventured on to the Waverley Route.

Bill

Edited by Bill Jamieson

Guest Max Stafford

Never knew that Bill, but I imagine it was a legacy from the NE allocation formerly based at London Road prior to its closure. I imagine they kept them on the original London Road diagrams.

Dave.

Never knew that Bill, but I imagine it was a legacy from the NE allocation formerly based at London Road prior to its closure. I imagine they kept them on the original London Road diagrams.

Dave.

Dave,

Sorry for not getting back to you on that sooner, but what you suggest is basically spot-on. This is what the RCTS "Locomotives of the LNER Part 5" says - "Three mores J27s, which from June 1925 were nominally outside NE Area jurisdiction, were Nos. 790, 829 and 1067 allocated to Carlisle (London Road). Although they became Scottish Area stock from that date, they were not used on the NB section, even despite their later move to Canal shed. They remained on goods workings to Newcastle, but a former NE lodging turn to Newport, which these locos worked, was discontinued. At the end of March 1939, all three were retransferred (sic) to the NE Area, being then allocated to Percy Main shed".It's very tempting to think that one of them must have got onto the Waverley Route at some point but I don't think we'll ever know for sure now!

Bill

Edited by Bill Jamieson

A frequently captured working, certainly, but not these particular photos previously. Not read before that Deltics were rare sought-after traction on specials, so the appearance of not one but two specimens on the Ghoulexes of the last weekend is particularly notable.

Great to see some new photos from that sad day - I still find it amazing how so many people were allowed to wander all over the place.

Nothing amazing about it, given the site and date. Anyone could go where they liked at Riccarton or anywhere else south of Hawick.

Roy

Not only were Deltics rare birds on specials, off the top of my head I can only recall two other diesel hauled enthusiast specials outwirh the final weekend. Grand Scottish Tours 1 and 2 (I think), the first being non-stop thwarted by a deer on the line, the second with a solitary stop to pick up at Galashiels

Diesel specials were a rare bird in themselves.

Now a question - when was the last special put on by BR for the indigenous population of the Borders - as opposed to enthusiasts?

Having read that over, perhaps I've really asked when last did BR promote the line to potential users?

Bruce. .

Guest Max Stafford

You can thank Jamie for that little gold mine. Particularly liked 73108 with her cheeky blue/grey coach cut into the consist! Also the WD and brake in winter fog summing up everything I regret just missing about the late steam age in Scotland. There's something about the railway in frosty foggy weather that fascinates me and that particular photo encapsulates it perfectly!

Dave.

Edited by Max Stafford
  • Like 3

Lord Hurcomb at Perth reinforcing how charcoal-like the Brits looked - whereas Spearmint has acquired the trademark patina that allows a hint of green through.

Bunsen at Slateford in the snow is wonderful. Waverley related gem - NCB No.6 presumably of the Lothian roster at New Craighall Coll.

Filthy green Southern bogie van inside 44700, with maroon LMS BG behind, cluster of sheds in the Ravelrig pic, and a personal fav - the Jube and Met-Camm alongside at Waverley.

Wonder if this one went back to Kingmoor by the scenic route?

http://www.flickr.co...57631389984554/

My suggestion is that 92015 had been borrowed by the Motherwell shedmaster to work a Mossend to Millerhill class 8 mineral train and that it most likely went back west as per whatever diagram it was on. That said, the loco is known to have worked over the WR.

Bill

Edited by Bill Jamieson

Waverley related gem - NCB No.6 presumably of the Lothian roster at New Craighall Coll.

The picture has been captioned wrongly, that is the Lady Victoria in the background, the buildings visable on the right of the photo are the NCB central workshops and these still back onto the A7.

It is a more unusual view, great!

• Like 1

The caption for the photo of No. 6 is also wrong in that it says it's an 0-6-0T. It's actually much more interesting, being one of the two 0-4-2STs at Lady Vic. The other, No.7, was a Grant Ritchie. I understand both these locos still exist, the Grant Ritchie at Prestongrange and No.6 at Tanfield.

Jeremy

Edited by JeremyC

Going OT for a minute (it's not worth a topic of its own) look at the AWS protection 'plate' on 42737 in this picture from "pholiota's" pictures - http://www.flickr.co...57631389984554/ . It`s not actually a plate at all; it`s just a frame. I`ve noticed this before in a photo of 42737 taken at Ayr shed. I`ve never seen it on any other engine. (I await the many pictures which will show it was a common fitting.)