Adults £3

Child/OAP £2

Family £8

Mickleover Community Centre

Uttoxeter Road

Mickleover

Derby

DE3 0DA

This year will be the 48th show we have organised in Mickleover and will again feature Club layouts and those of our members. The clubrooms will also be open to visitors. Featured layout this year is Farkham which has appeared at many shows up and down the country and has even featured at exhibitions in Holland and Germany! Another feature for RMweb visitors is DonB's Challenge entry Hockley Goods.

I'll post up the other layouts later.

Trade support from Malcs Models (Ilkeston), Derby Trees, RMLectronics, Railway Bookshop and John Kelsey (second hand sales)

Tea Rooms open for light refreshments.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Time to add the Layout details

IN THE CLUBROOMS

DUFFIELD OO Gauge Club Layout

This is the second incarnation of Duffield as the main Club layout. The previous layout was declared “life expired” some years ago and the decision was made to rebuild the whole lot. What you see today is the result of a great deal of work by a small number of club members working a few hours each week. Work on the scenery has progressed since last year but there is still a vast amount to be done and it will be several years before it will be regarded as finished. Look out for the ‘Wirksworth Quarries’ wagons – a limited edition commissioned for the Club and EVRA from Bachmann – sorry they are now sold out sad.gif

WARNER STREET O Gauge Club Layout

This layout is a double track main line terminus with two main platforms and a bay as well as a small goods yard. Since its last appearance, some of the trackwork and scenic area have been remodelled, with most of this work being undertaken by the junior members of the Club. The layout is fed from a traverser which has also been modified. The period to be modelled is not fixed, as a club layout has to cater for a wide variety of tastes although generally the bulk of operation will be BR steam and green diesels.

EVERYWHERE OO Gauge Club Layout

This is our newest layout, which has replaced ‘Neverwhere’ and again it is planned to have a 'scenery only' layout so that a variety of stock can be used, including UK outline OO and Continental and American HO. The track spacing has also been planned to accommodate On30 narrow gauge and the upper level has a circuit of OO9/HOe. Digital Control (DCC) is available for those locos that are fitted and this enables sound to be used. Since last year, a great deal of progress has been made on the scenery.

IN THE COMMUNITY CENTRE

FARKHAM thumbsup.gif thumbsup.gif OO Gauge Club Layout

Farkham is a fictitious suburb of the Stoke on Trent conurbation in the Midlands. The railway running through the area is a secondary line with freight being the main traffic and only occasional passenger services. The aim of the model has been to portray the period 1988-95 and the pre-privatisation era of BR in a typical midlands industrial town. Track is hand built using C&L and Peco components to finescale 16.5mm standards. Rolling stock is detailed ready to run, repainted and weathered, with others kit or scratch built.

DERWENT VALLEY N Gauge Club Layout

A preserved 'might have been; line which could have connected Rowsley to the Dore and Chinley line through the Derwent Valley past Chatsworth House. This has now passed to a Preservation Society where they are holding a gala event in celebration of 40 years since the last BR trains ran on the line, and 25 years since preservation began. An intensive service will run using both steam and diesel locos as well as a visit from Thomas.

HOCKLEY GOODS OO Gauge Don Blackhall

Don (along with 17,000 others!) is a member of the internet forum RMWeb (www.rmweb.co.uk) and built this delightful diorama in response to a challenge to build something in a space of 20 x 11 inches in 2011. His entry was voted as one of the ‘top ten’ in three different categories :sungum:

ZINBELSTEIN HOe Gauge John Huddlestone

This narrow gauge railway connects Germany with Switzerland and caters mainly for the tourist traffic although some through freight will be seen. The model has a three road station, the associated buildings, a motive power depot and signal box. The local fairground will be seen nearby.

DARLEY GREEN OO Gauge Famous Trains

This layout will form the branch line terminus of an imaginary short line from Chinley, which will itself be the main layout of the Famous Trains Charity Project in Markeaton Park. The line at the front of the layout will be a through line to a factory complex and the short spur under the bridge will become a longer headshunt.

LAYOUT IN A TV N Gauge John Ward

Die Kleine Odysse der Bayrischan Bimmeltahn is set in the Bavarian Alps in the early 20th Century and is the result of an idea to build a layout inside an old analogue TV. Still under construction, this layout demonstrates the scenic techniques John has used, particularly on our new layout in the Clubrooms. Please ask for further information.

HILLSIDE N Gauge Jim English

This small layout is loosely based on one featured in Railway Modeller some years ago with a continuous run, and a passing loop and fiddle yard behind the scenes. There is a siding to an off scene mine and the station is at the bottom of the hill – hence the name.

TOWNEND O-16.5 7mm Narrow Gauge Jim English

A model of a minimum space terminus that could be anywhere in the country. The station is at the end of the town (hence the name) and trains arrive and depart at the whim of the operator. All stock is scratch built on OO chassis.

THOMAS OO Gauge Club Layout

Thomas and Friends make a welcome return to our show and it is hard to believe that this is the oldest layout we have in the Club as it was built many years ago when the TV series was just starting. This was long before Hornby produced the well known models that many youngsters now have at home

My oh my, it's hard to believe this show has been going for that many years, I remember my first ever visit as a 14 year old youth in 1979! (took me another 3 or 4 years before I joined the club!).

I always found it an enjoyable show and you can always be sure of finding something interesting on a certain S/H stand run by a "dodgy car dealer, type"!!! (he, he!). I hope the aforementioned bearded gentleman see this!

Where else can you see not just a 'normal' exhibition but get to view the club-rooms as well!? A very reasonable entrance fee, too!

Have a great w/e guys, we'll look after your two or more exhibitors at the MMRS show!

Your old friend,

John E.

• RMweb Premium

you can always be sure of finding something interesting on a certain S/H stand run by a "dodgy car dealer, type"!!! (he, he!). I hope the aforementioned bearded gentleman see this!

That'll be me then :sungum:

The second hand stall is just as good as it always was - even though I'm not running it these days - more likely to be found on the door collecting cash - must those 25 years riding the Black Horse that means I can't keep away from money.

Out last night and put 15 road signs up and Radio Derby were at the Clubrooms to record an interview as extra publicity - and yes we did have some sound fitted locos running :locomotive:

Another couple of days and it'll all be over . . . . . . . . . .

Mike

That'll be me then :sungum:

Oops!

Sorry Mike, I forgot you also wear a beard!!! :blush: :blush: :blush:

No, I meant dear ole JDK - when T. Storer went around with John's picture on a card saying "would you buy a used car from this man"!!!!

Probably just me but I always picture this!

Have a great w/e anyway, guys!

John E.

• RMweb Premium

John

JDK is still trading - in fact I think he went home tonight with more than he came with! Now you mention it, I do remember those business cards which must have been old stock as they showed a dark beard and he's been grey/silver/white for many years :)

Very pleased to report that we have had our best attendance (460) :sungum: for at least 10 years (that's as far back as I can go with figures that are close to hand and I can't be @r$ed to go looking any further) Just shows that some advertising helps (we forgot last year :O ) but as well as that the Famous Trains Charity had a press release in the paper and Radio Derby recorded an interview in the week and then phoned for an update just before the show started which was broadcast live.

Let's hope for a bumper day Sunday as well

Mike

Gutted I can't make this one as we were visiting in-laws next weekend!

So we'll see you on 11 and 12 May next year then instead . . . . . . !!

• RMweb Premium

That's the local show over for another year but preparations are already underway for Moorways in May.

We had 800 visitors over the two days, making it one of our best shows for many years :sungum: Thanks to all of our visitors who made this possible.

The show closed with the presentation of the best layout award (Derwent Valley, Club N gauge) which was the 'Ian Wells Memorial Trophy' presented by his father Graham in memory of Ian who joined the club in the late 1960s as a junior member and passed away suddenly earlier this year. Ian was known to many of our exhibitors and traders as he ran the catering side of our shows at the Assembly Rooms and Mickleover and would always be found with a white apron on and a tea pot in his hand - as a fitting tribute, the memorial trophy was an engraved stainless steel tea pot on a wooden plinth. What struck many of us this weekend was the number of times we said "Oh yes - Ian used to do that" everytime we remembered another little job that needed doing like buying a tin of sweets for the volunteers in the Tea Rooms - I got to Tesco just before they closed !

Mike

The show closed with the presentation of the best layout award (Derwent Valley, Club N gauge) which was the 'Ian Wells Memorial Trophy' presented by his father Graham in memory of Ian who joined the club in the late 1960s as a junior member and passed away suddenly earlier this year. Ian was known to many of our exhibitors and traders as he ran the catering side of our shows at the Assembly Rooms and Mickleover and would always be found with a white apron on and a tea pot in his hand - as a fitting tribute, the memorial trophy was an engraved stainless steel tea pot on a wooden plinth. What struck many of us this weekend was the number of times we said "Oh yes - Ian used to do that" everytime we remembered another little job that needed doing like buying a tin of sweets for the volunteers in the Tea Rooms - I got to Tesco just before they closed!

That's very poignant!

I currently very, very tired and worn out (& and so, a bit emotional!) but that has brought a tear to my eye just thinking of all those really great times we all had in those kitchens!

Well done Mike and all, glad you guys had a great w/e too!

Cheers,

John E.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks John - even the vicar at the funeral service mentioned the catering as Graham had said about their kitchen at home being full of frozen chicken breasts thawing out before the show - as one of the organisers and eating up the left-overs it was always a difficult choice between rubber chicken and rock hard chips or burnt stew with dry instant mash - happy days . . . . . . .

Mike

Archived