Hanging case on GNR Ivatt Atlantic tank

For those who have Peter Townend's 'Top Shed' - and indeed for those who don't but can recognise what is described below - observe the picture facing the contents page, of GNR No 1504 standing at Enfield, with the blower on. Obviously I cannot reproduce the picture as it is in a copyright work.

Hanging on a hook chained to the handrail on the smokebox, is a pretty substantial circular section object, probably around 18 inches diameter, looks like a case of some sort. On the visible face there is a triangular shape. It has either been there a while, or something of the sort is frequently hung there, as there is a clear worn witness mark showing how it swings back and forth against the smokebox side.

Could this be some kind of line token - seems an inconvenient position to stow it? Any one know what it might be?

They are a selection of headcode disks. The triangle seen on the one at the front is a code I've also seen on a GN 120 class 0-4-4BT no.243, but on a square disk (is that an oxymoron?), and I've also seen a similar round disk with triangle on the low middle lamp iron on another 120 class - no.625 - at Edgeware (also with lamps above and to the left) preparing for a return trip to Moorgate. On this loco, a selection of square disks is hung in a similar fashion from the handrail, but at the firebox end, resting on the sandbox.

See how the metal disks have scraped the paint from the smokebox waist as they've swung forwards and backwards when in motion.

Lovely picture, see the Clarke wagons with dumb buffers in the background, when were unsprung buffers last used in mainline service? [Off topic I'm afraid]

The BoT ruled that all newly constructed wagons in England and Wales were to have spring buffers from 1889, but the practice continued in Scotland until late1903. 1st January 1914 saw all revenue-earning dumb buffered wagons banned from the main line in England and Wales, and Scotland was due to ban them from 1915, but the needs of war meant they weren't finally expunged from north of the border until a year or two before Grouping.

As an addendum - The GN wasn't the only company to hang spare disks from the handrail - see the LC&D Second Sondes here.

I have a photo somewhere of an LC&D 'Scotchman' - a GNR Sturrock 0-4-2BT in all but name - with not only the round disks hangingoff the boiler handrail, but the driver's billy can and leather snap bag too.

Lovely picture, see the Clarke wagons with dumb buffers in the background, when were unsprung buffers last used in mainline service? [Off topic I'm afraid]

The BoT ruled that all newly constructed wagons in England and Wales were to have spring buffers from 1889, but the practice continued in Scotland until late1903. 1st January 1914 saw all revenue-earning dumb buffered wagons banned from the main line in England and Wales, and Scotland was due to ban them from 1915, but the needs of war meant they weren't finally expunged from north of the border until a year or two before Grouping.

The reference with the photo says it was taken in 1905 which fits in with the above. What's in the background of old photos can be just as interesting as what's in the foreground.

Archived